Is gnome-software completely broken?

Have you tried Yast?? Graphic and easy to use… But yes you must be root/ Linux is multi users so in that case do you want ALL users to be able to install programs??? Updates can be done from a desktop updater with out logging to root. Do you really want your 5 year old child to have full access to all aspects of the computer??? Computing is more then just slick and eye candy.

Once in a while, it pays to read the handbook – 9.4 The GNOME package updater <Installing or removing software | Start-Up | openSUSE Leap 15.5.
There’s also this: 9.5 Updating packages with GNOME Software <Installing or removing software | Start-Up | openSUSE Leap 15.5.

Unfortunately, the “GNOME User Guide” ain’t much help – <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/gnome-user/html/book-gnome-user/index.html&gt;.
[HR][/HR]Please be aware that, more than a few of us are KDE Plasma users but, there a few prominent members who are GNOME users and, there are a couple of SUSE managers who are involved with GNOME maintenance …

Hi @gogalthorp,

Yast is the main reason I choose SuSE, as in the operation system from a company partially owned by the Geman government called “Software und System Entwicklung”, over other distributions when I finally replaced Solaris with gnu/linux on my home computer some twenty-some-odd years ago. And SuSE always reminded me to “Have a lot of fun …!”; it still does :). I had been been flirting with gnu/linux since 1992 or 1993, but it wasn’t until around 2000 that I actually committed myself to the platform. I would argue that Yast is better than comparable solutions from other distros, but there are no comparable solutions. It actually amazes me that in 2022, more than twenty years past gnu/linux becoming a stable and viable Unix replacement, opensuse is still the only distribution with a genuinely good installer and system management suite, namely Yast.

And NO, of course I would not want my five year old, or anyone else’s five your old, to have root-like access to my box! While I certainly think security is important, I also wonder if we (we being more technically minded computer users) have taken our concerns with security too far. I think I have on occasion.

Be well … and have a lot of fun!

Hello and thank you for the links!

I now understand the “double” reboot. If I were to use gnome-software for a kernel update, the first reboot would actually install the new kernel, and the second would make it active. I’m not sure that I like this setup, but at least I now understand how it is supposed to work.

Cheers!

Possibly a major difference between GNOME Software Management and Zypp/Zypper –

• When using YaST / Zypp, the Kernel patch is performed and then, “mkinitrd” is immediately called to create the “initramfs” image and, in the directory ‘/boot/’ – “initrd” and “vmlinuz” are modified to point to the new kernel image before the next reboot …

Exactly why, the GNOME Software Manager needs a reboot after patching the Kernel before modifying the “initrd” and “vmlinuz” links is not clear …

Hello all and thanks to everyone who has responded.

A couple of packages became available for update this morning. As expected, I received a notification that system updates were available. As expected, those updates were automatically downloaded and were in the zypper cache. The update model for gnome-software appears to be reboot, install packages, and reboot again. As far as I can tell, the updates did not contain anything to make a reboot necessary. (perl-HTTP-Daemon and systemd-presets-common-SUSE) Although I was almost convinced that my initial problem was the result of an unsolvable dependency in the repos, once more the packages were NOT updated.

I don’t know if this issue is limited to system updates or to updates more generally. It seem possible, perhaps even probable, that there is a missing or mis-configured authentication pierce somewhere in the stack of packages as at no point was I prompted to authenticate as root as I am prompted if I use gnome-software to simply install a package.

I hope I am wrong about the reboot to install updates model, as that is really clunky. Nonetheless, it does download updates and notify me that updates are available. That is the only reason I installed gnome-software in the first place. On leap 15.3, I am able to remove gnome-software and the package kit backend, or whatever it is, still does the background download and notification. I don’t yet know if the same is true with 15.4. If not, it appears to be easy enough to get comparable functionality from “pkcon”.

I’m done with “gnome-software” for now. I’ll let it run for another week or two, just to see … but my curiosity is largely sated.