IPv4 Addresses depleted

NRO announces depletion of the IPv4 address pool:

http://www.nro.net/news/ipv4-free-pool-depleted

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

Maybe sometime in the next 20 to 30 years, my ISP will start supporting IPv6. In the meantime, there’s not much that I can do about it (except changing to another ISP that is just as slow).

I’ll probably need a different router, too. But there won’t be much available in the way of IPv6 capable home routers until there’s a market for them, and there won’t be a market until the ISPs start to take action.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 05:06:02 +0000, nrickert wrote:

> I’ll probably need a different router, too. But there won’t be much
> available in the way of IPv6 capable home routers until there’s a market
> for them, and there won’t be a market until the ISPs start to take
> action.

Well, I know that anything that supports dd-wrt or openwrt can do IPv6 -
because there are options to do so.

So adding support wouldn’t be that hard for the router manufacturers
through a firmware upgrade. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

You won’t have to wait that long. Already many online services are available in IPv6 and migration has commenced for regions that are short on IPv4 addresses. Consumer routers will gradually be upgraded as they get obsolescent. Mobile devices in particular will force the hands of providers to make the move. But a dual stack situation will exist for a while.

I guess this means we won’t be telling anybody to disable IPv6 anymore.
For me personally I never have disabled it. Though I do wonder just how would or would any real difference be noticed?

If you don’t have an IPv6 tail from your ISP, you won’t be able to reach IPv6 sites anyway (except through a tunnel, which slows things down) so it won’t matter till then. But there is a small chance that broken routers could interfere if IPv6 is enabled.

Personally I have never disabled IPv6. But then I know that my LAN and routers behave properly.

I will still people to disable IPv6 simply because it doesn’t matter whether they have it on or not (apart from causing issues) when their local devices / ISP don’t support IPv6 anyway.

It’ll be untold years because we’ve even partially migrated to IPv6 no matter what the doom sayers keep preaching, also we’re not even close to running out of IPv4 addresses, big companies are still hoarding entire classes.

Re companies hoarding addresses that could ease the shortage: That’s one of the myths that was debunked at an IPv6 talk recently. At the growth rate of the Internet, even if those organisations gave back all the unused space it buys little time.

That’s not to say that some regions have lots of unused addresses, they sure do. An overseas colo site gave us 8 extra IP addresses without being asked for it. The truth is that there is urgency in some areas and none in others.

It’s not your desktop that is likely to feel the crunch. It’s more likely to be the ISPs that serve smartphones. Some of them waited too long to upgrade their infrastructure and now are being inundated by the proliferation of mobile devices.

I’m not concerned about ISP costs, what I am concerned is the massive cost it’ll be putting on the “Regular Joe” who now sits with possible DSL, WLAN and other devices that are non-IPv6 compliant and the manufacturer has deemed these devices to be EOL and no chance of getting that firmware upgrade.

Actually it’s the service sites (Google, FB, Twitter, Wikipedia, etc) who will bear the cost of maintaining services facing both v4 and v6 clients. v4 users in areas with no shortage will not be under pressure to move.

I have a stupid question. My ISP (Wildblue Satellite) does not support IPV6. They only have 6to4 tunneling. I assume you have to have full IPV6 support to be able to view a full IPV6 site like this: http://ipv6.google.com/ (which I can’t view). Would a site have to use a dual stack approach before I could view it? Also there is the question of content as witnessed here: The KAME project If you click on the link for the dancing kame, and have full IPV6 support from your ISP, you should see a normal dancing turtle. If not, you will see a fuzzy dancing turtle.