Internet works, LAN doesn't

Hello everyone, first post here

I’ve installed OpenSUSE 13.1 and have the internet connection working.
However, I cannot see any other PC on the local network (or be seen from any of them).

What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Helloo and welcome here.

Your LAN “works” else you would not be able to reach your router through which you go to the internet.

What do you mean by “cannot see any other PC on the LAN”. “Seeing” might be a popular way of expressing things, but in working with computer systems we need presice computer definitions. A good problem description has three things:
. what did you do;
. what did you expect to happen;
. what happened instead.

In your case it could be somethhing like:
. I did ping another-system-on-my-lan;
. I expected it to come with connection timing reports.
. I got “host unreachable”.
Or different according to what your real test was.

Please explain.

PS. when you want to show us your use of ping or any other computer text, please copy/paste that between CODE tags in a post here. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. Like:

henk@boven:~> ping bloop
ping: unknown host bloop
henk@boven:~>

Hi adrian9841 and welcome to the openSUSE community forum!

I’ve installed OpenSUSE 13.1 and have the internet connection working.
However, I cannot see any other PC on the local network (or be seen from any of them).

What can I do?

This looks like a firewall issue. You can easily configure the firewall using the “firewall” module in YaST and, for example, set the network interface of your computer to “internal”. With the “internal” profile, most of the network traffic will be allowed through the network interface.

Next, if what you call “cannot see any other PC on the local network” is Microsoft network browsing, you should also start and enable the following nmbd deamon:

# systemctl start nmb.service
# systemctl enable nmb.service

You can also do the same thing using YaST “service manager” module.

Thank you for the reply.
Ping works OK to the new machine.

What I was missing was accessing the network share of other PCs (windows boxes).
But I’ve toyed about with the Samba config and now it works.

adrian9841,

I must admit that my post was a wild guess on your network and computer configurations. You should also follow hcvv advices so we can assist you better and without confusion.