Internet Does NOT work, although I am Connected

Something very strange happened today and I have no idea how or why. My internet was working perfectly fine this morning before I took it in to work (laptop). Let me begin first by telling you a problem I have been having originally, and maybe what may have caused the new problem.

When I start opensuse, GNOME, about 50% of the time my NetworkManager will not show any wireless networks. Now I know the networks are available, but it will not show them or allow me connect to them. My only known remedy is to restart my computer and hope that the coinflip works in my favor, and the NetworkManager shows me the wireless networks.

Well today at work I went through about 10 restarts with no success, no wireless networks showing up (I know this is a NetworkManager error because where I work, about 15 networks show up when it is working, 0 when its not). So I went into network settings and clicked on the other network management settings (maybe its called ifconfig?; theres two options, that one and NetworkManager). Upon doing this I realized I had no idea how to connect on this option, so I switched back to NetworkManager. After about 5 more restarts, finally the wireless networks showed up, and I was extremely excited to say the least. Well, to my disappointment, upon connecting I was unable to do anything involving the internet. I connected to another network and same problem. And this is my current problem.

I can connect to both wireless and wired networks, but can do nothing on the web. Websites and SSH’s react as if I am not connected. I have no clue what info you may need to help me assess this but here is iwconfig and ifconfig. Let me know what else you may need to figure this out! Thanks guys (I am posting this from a different computer obviously).

linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # iwconfig

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:"HOME"  

          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:13:10:F6:14:6F   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   

          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off

          Encryption key:8BC5-F093-6847-EBB8-9581-313A-8D49-D6F5-DF6D-C4C8-872E-0505-7A3E-DBCE-2675-8DCC [2]

          Power Management:off

          Link Quality=49/70  Signal level=-61 dBm  Noise level=-127 dBm

          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0

          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0



linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:19:B9:87:92:7C 

          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

          Interrupt:17 



lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  

          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

          RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

          TX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 

          RX bytes:1860 (1.8 Kb)  TX bytes:1860 (1.8 Kb)



wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1B:77:7B:01:41  

          inet addr:192.168.1.101  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

          inet6 addr: fe80::21b:77ff:fe7b:141/64 Scope:Link

          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

          TX packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 

          RX bytes:1769 (1.7 Kb)  TX bytes:7255 (7.0 Kb)



wmaster0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-1B-77-7B-01-41-37-62-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 
          UP RUNNING  MTU:0  Metric:1

          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 

          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)


Again, thanks for any help and patience with me!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Post the output from the following commands:

ip addr
ip route
cat /etc/resolv.conf

Also when your network does not work restarting your box is PROBABLY
overkill. Do the following instead:

sudo /etc/init.d/network restart

Good luck.

On 06/23/2010 08:26 PM, GeoffTK wrote:
>
> Something very strange happened today and I have no idea how or why. My
> internet was working perfectly fine this morning before I took it in to
> work (laptop). Let me begin first by telling you a problem I have been
> having originally, and maybe what may have caused the new problem.
>
> When I start opensuse, GNOME, about 50% of the time my NetworkManager
> will not show any wireless networks. Now I know the networks are
> available, but it will not show them or allow me connect to them. My
> only known remedy is to restart my computer and hope that the coinflip
> works in my favor, and the NetworkManager shows me the wireless
> networks.
>
> Well today at work I went through about 10 restarts with no success, no
> wireless networks showing up (I know this is a NetworkManager error
> because where I work, about 15 networks show up when it is working, 0
> when its not). So I went into network settings and clicked on the other
> network management settings (maybe its called ifconfig?; theres two
> options, that one and NetworkManager). Upon doing this I realized I had
> no idea how to connect on this option, so I switched back to
> NetworkManager. After about 5 more restarts, finally the wireless
> networks showed up, and I was extremely excited to say the least. Well,
> to my disappointment, upon connecting I was unable to do anything
> involving the internet. I connected to another network and same
> problem. And this is my current problem.
>
> I can connect to both wireless and wired networks, but can do nothing
> on the web. Websites and SSH’s react as if I am not connected. I have
> no clue what info you may need to help me assess this but here is
> iwconfig and ifconfig. Let me know what else you may need to figure
> this out! Thanks guys (I am posting this from a different computer
> obviously).
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # iwconfig
>
> lo no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0 no wireless extensions.
>
> wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
>
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:“HOME”
>
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:13:10:F6:14:6F
> Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
>
> Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
>
> Encryption key:8BC5-F093-6847-EBB8-9581-313A-8D49-D6F5-DF6D-C4C8-872E-0505-7A3E-DBCE-2675-8DCC [2]
>
> Power Management:off
>
> Link Quality=49/70 Signal level=-61 dBm Noise level=-127 dBm
>
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
>
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>
>
>
> linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # ifconfig
>
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:19:B9:87:92:7C
>
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
>
> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>
> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
> Interrupt:17
>
>
>
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
>
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
>
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
>
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
>
> RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>
> TX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>
> RX bytes:1860 (1.8 Kb) TX bytes:1860 (1.8 Kb)
>
>
>
> wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1B:77:7B:01:41
>
> inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
>
> inet6 addr: fe80::21b:77ff:fe7b:141/64 Scope:Link
>
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
>
> RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>
> TX packets:33 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>
> RX bytes:1769 (1.7 Kb) TX bytes:7255 (7.0 Kb)
>
>
>
> wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-1B-77-7B-01-41-37-62-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
> UP RUNNING MTU:0 Metric:1
>
> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>
> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
>
> --------------------
>
>
> Again, thanks for any help and patience with me!
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=2LQE
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
    inet 127.0.0.2/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host secondary lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:19:b9:87:92:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wmaster0: <UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 0 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ieee802.11 00:1b:77:7b:01:41 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1b:77:7b:01:41 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.101/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global wlan0
    inet6 fe80::21b:77ff:fe7b:141/64 scope link 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # ip route
192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.101  metric 2 
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link 
default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0  proto static 
linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # cat /etc/resolv.conf 
### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
#
# Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
# static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
# /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
# or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
#
# See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
#
# Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
# may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
# only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
# file and in case of a "netconfig update -f" call.
#
### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!

Thanks for the tip too!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

First problem, you lack any DNS servers. Without these your connection is
fine but chances are you are only trying to access the Internet via DNS
names (google.com, vs. 12.34.56.78) so that’s the first problem. Why your
DHCP server is not dishing those out (or perhaps NetworkManager isn’t
accepting them, which seems odd) is not something I can tell you. Try the
following. First, to fix your issue, run the following command:

sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf

add this line (page-down to the bottom, then press o (lower-case “oh”) to
“open” a new line for typing):

nameserver 8.8.8.8

Once done exit by pressing [Esc] and then typing ZZ (two capital Z
characters). Now try things again like the following:

dig google.com

Post your output. If it works (and if other things like your browser
work) you’re in business. Now let’s find out more about DHCP in your
setup. Run the following:

sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpcd-test wlan0

Post the output back here.

Good luck.

On 06/23/2010 09:46 PM, GeoffTK wrote:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # ip addr
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
> link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
> inet 127.0.0.2/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host secondary lo
> inet6 ::1/128 scope host
> valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
> link/ether 00:19:b9:87:92:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 3: wmaster0: <UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 0 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
> link/ieee802.11 00:1b:77:7b:01:41 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> 4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
> link/ether 00:1b:77:7b:01:41 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> inet 192.168.1.101/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global wlan0
> inet6 fe80::21b:77ff:fe7b:141/64 scope link
> valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # ip route
> 192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.101 metric 2
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
> default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0 proto static
> linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
> #
> # Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
> # static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
> # /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
> # or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
> # NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=’’
> #
> # See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
> #
> # Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
> # may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
> # only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
> # file and in case of a “netconfig update -f” call.
> #
> ### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
>
> --------------------
>
>
> Thanks for the tip too!
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=fEn4
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Wonderful, what you’ve suggested has corrected my issue, I am curious as to how it happened, any ideas?

linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # dig google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P3 <<>> google.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8354
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
google.com.		300	IN	A	209.85.225.99
google.com.		300	IN	A	209.85.225.104
google.com.		300	IN	A	209.85.225.103
google.com.		300	IN	A	209.85.225.147
google.com.		300	IN	A	209.85.225.106
google.com.		300	IN	A	209.85.225.105

;; Query time: 52 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Thu Jun 24 02:35:29 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 124


linux-a8kh:/home/Geoff # /usr/sbin/dhcpcd-test wlan0
info, wlan0: hardware address = 00:1b:77:7b:01:41
info, wlan0: broadcasting for a lease
debug, wlan0: sending DHCP_DISCOVER with xid 0x24c501e3
debug, wlan0: waiting for 10 seconds
debug, wlan0: got a packet with xid 0x24c501e3
info, wlan0: offered 192.168.1.107 from 192.168.1.1
DHCPSIADDR='192.168.1.1'
IPADDR='192.168.1.107'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='192.168.1.0'
BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
ROUTES=''
GATEWAYS='192.168.1.1'
DNSDOMAIN='wowway.com'
DNSSERVERS='64.233.217.2 64.233.217.3'
DHCPSID='192.168.1.1'
LEASETIME='86400'
RENEWALTIME='0'
REBINDTIME='0'
INTERFACE='wlan0'
CLASSID='dhcpcd 3.2.3'
CLIENTID='01:00:1b:77:7b:01:41'
DHCPCHADDR='00:1b:77:7b:01:41'
info, wlan0: exiting

Oh, by the way I know how to use VI so you need not type that much detail when explaining how to edit the document, (I appreciate the desire to make it as easy as possible for me, just letting you know to save you some typing).

Thanks again, people like you are what have made this linux transition so easy and enjoyable.

GeoffTK wrote:
> Oh, by the way I know how to use VI so you need not type that much
> detail when explaining how to edit the document,

but, the next guy/gal who finds this thread (by google), may not…


DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Yea, that makes sense, I wasn’t trying to ridicule him or anything like that. I was just trying to save him some time but I understand.

OK, I have some outputs from attempting to restart my network manager when no wireless shows up. It seems I get an error when I attempt to restart the network. I did that about 15 times and to my disappointment, that is not the resolution to getting my wireless networks to show up, so I am still stuck to restarting, (which I can deal with, although I hate).

Take a glance at this when ever you get some freetime and let me know if this is of any help…

EDIT: Dammit, somehow I lost the log that I had, I must have forgotten to save it. Next time it happens I will post the log. Basically it would go through and shut down eth0 and eth1, and then say shut down complete. And then on attempting to start the network back up, It would say ERROR in read and it would say, invalid command check --help for help. (or something of that nature).

On 06/24/2010 01:58 AM, DenverD wrote:
> GeoffTK wrote:
>> Oh, by the way I know how to use VI so you need not type that much
>> detail when explaining how to edit the document,
>
> but, the next guy/gal who finds this thread (by google), may not…

As to why this happened, there was a bug in the original 11.2 distribution
that caused this problem. Have you updated since installation?

I do not usually have newbies use vi. For most, a “kdesu kwrite
/etc/resolv.conf” would be easier.

Here is the error that occurs when no wireless connections show up:

Geoff@linux-a8kh:~> sudo /etc/init.d/network restart
root's password:
Shutting down the NetworkManager                                     done
Shutting down network interfaces:
    eth0      name: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
    eth0                                                             done
Shutting down service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .             done
Starting the NetworkManager                                          done

** ERROR **: Invalid option.  Please use --help to see a list of valid options.
aborting...
/etc/init.d/network: line 148:  3286 Aborted                 $NM_ONLINE_BIN --timeout $NM_ONLINE_TIMEOUT
                                                                     failed

Here is the error when wireless connections are showing up and I type in the same command:

Geoff@linux-a8kh:~> sudo /etc/init.d/network restart
root's password:
Shutting down the NetworkManager                                     done
Shutting down network interfaces:
    eth0      name: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
    eth0                                                             done
    wlan0     device: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
    wlan0                                                            done
Shutting down service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .             done
Starting the NetworkManager                                          done

** ERROR **: Invalid option.  Please use --help to see a list of valid options.
aborting...
/etc/init.d/network: line 148:  3286 Aborted                 $NM_ONLINE_BIN --timeout $NM_ONLINE_TIMEOUT
                                                                     failed

This is what code is at line 148 (the first line start_nm_online() is line 148);

start_nm_online() {
        test -x "$NM_ONLINE_BIN" || return 0
        if  "$NM_ONLINE_TIMEOUT" = 0 ] ; then
#               mesg "If service network should wait until connection is established"
#               mesg "then set /etc/sysconfig/network/config:NM_ONLINE_TIMEOUT"
                return 0
        fi
        local rc_startmode="${stat}${attn}waiting${norm}"
        $NM_ONLINE_BIN --timeout $NM_ONLINE_TIMEOUT
        case $? in
                0) rc_status -v ;;
                1) echo -e "$rc_startmode" 1>&2 ;;
                *) rc_status -v ;;
        esac
}