Internal SD Card Reader Not Functioning in openSUSE 11.4 on HP 630 Laptop

I am using OpenSuse 13.2 dual booting with Windows 8. The card is a Sony memory stick placed in a SD adapter from a Sony Cybershot camera. It does work in Windows 8. I did try a regular SD card from my wifes camera and that one worked. Meaning it automounted and I could look at the files. Seems like something weird with the Sony Memory stick?

brylah@linux-pxm9:~> lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0c45:64ad Microdia
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0cf3:0036 Atheros Communications, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Here is what you ask for:

linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # fdisk -l /dev/mspblk0

Disk /dev/mspblk0: 3.8 GiB, 4018143232 bytes, 7847936 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Here is what happens when I try to mount it to /tmp/test:

linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # mount /dev/mspblk0 /tmp/test
mount: /dev/mspblk0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mspblk0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

   In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
   dmesg | tail or so.

On 2015-01-13 03:36, BoonDoc wrote:
>
> I AM USING OPENSUSE 13.2 DUAL BOOTING WITH WINDOWS 8. THE CARD IS A
> SONY MEMORY STICK PLACED IN A SD ADAPTER FROM A SONY CYBERSHOT CAMERA.
> IT DOES WORK IN WINDOWS 8. I DID TRY A REGULAR SD CARD FROM MY WIFES
> CAMERA AND THAT ONE WORKED. MEANING IT AUTOMOUNTED AND I COULD LOOK AT
> THE FILES. SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING WEIRD WITH THE SONY MEMORY STICK?

…

> HERE IS WHAT YOU ASK FOR:
> linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # fdisk -l /dev/mspblk0
>
> Disk /dev/mspblk0: 3.8 GiB, 4018143232 bytes, 7847936 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

So, it has no partitions.

> HERE IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I TRY TO MOUNT IT TO /TMP/TEST:
> linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # mount /dev/mspblk0 /tmp/test
> mount: /dev/mspblk0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mspblk0,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error

It might be exfat.

> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so.

Did you look there?

–
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

On Tue 13 Jan 2015 02:53:07 AM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

It might be exfat.

Hi
Yes, I think it probably is…

–
Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Ok here it is:

linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # dmesg | tail
248.109552] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC=34:23:87:16:58:ef:4c:60:de:9e:4f:d5:08:00 SRC=192.168.254.254 DST=192.168.254.25 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32853 DPT=137 LEN=58
268.236062] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC=34:23:87:16:58:ef:4c:60:de:9e:4f:d5:08:00 SRC=192.168.254.254 DST=192.168.254.25 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32853 DPT=137 LEN=58
287.561437] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC=34:23:87:16:58:ef:4c:60:de:9e:4f:d5:08:00 SRC=192.168.254.254 DST=192.168.254.25 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32853 DPT=137 LEN=58
305.036749] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:3623:87ff:fe16:58ef DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00fb LEN=84 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=44
306.788276] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC=34:23:87:16:58:ef:4c:60:de:9e:4f:d5:08:00 SRC=192.168.254.254 DST=192.168.254.25 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32853 DPT=137 LEN=58
314.549407] memstick0: switching to 4-bit parallel mode
314.557933] mspblk0: unknown partition table
323.567207] memstick0: switching to 4-bit parallel mode
323.575580] mspblk0: unknown partition table
326.072278] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC=34:23:87:16:58:ef:4c:60:de:9e:4f:d5:08:00 SRC=192.168.254.254 DST=192.168.254.25 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32853 DPT=137 LEN=58

**So if is exfat filesystem how can I get it mounted? Is the fact that it does not have a partition make it not mountable? It does have pictures on the card and I’d hate to lose them. **

On 2015-01-13 12:26, BoonDoc wrote:
>
> OK HERE IT IS:
> linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # dmesg | tail

> 314.549407] memstick0: switching to 4-bit parallel mode
> 314.557933] mspblk0: unknown partition table
> 323.567207] memstick0: switching to 4-bit parallel mode
> 323.575580] mspblk0: unknown partition table
>
> *So if is exfat filesystem how can I get it mounted? Is the fact that
> it does not have a partition make it not mountable? It does have
> pictures on the card and I’d hate to lose them. *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

No, the missing partition is not that important. But exfat is patented
technology of Microsoft, and it is simply not supported (certainly not
by openSUSE). You might have success using “fuse”, but if the card
belongs to a camera, it is easier to connect the camera via usb cable
and use MTP.

–
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

**Ok so I tried installing fuse and mounting the memory stick and NO GO. This is the output:

**
brylah@linux-pxm9:~> dmesg | tail
138.035416] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:3623:87ff:fe16:58ef DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00fb LEN=430 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=390
138.286230] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:3623:87ff:fe16:58ef DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00fb LEN=430 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=390
138.487032] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:3623:87ff:fe16:58ef DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00fb LEN=400 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=360
139.689203] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
142.391895] fuse init (API version 7.23)
166.542810] memstick0: switching to 4-bit parallel mode
166.551449] mspblk0: unknown partition table
170.424916] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:3623:87ff:fe16:58ef DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00fb LEN=84 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=255 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=44
176.945598] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC=34:23:87:16:58:ef:4c:60:de:9e:4f:d5:08:00 SRC=192.168.254.254 DST=192.168.254.25 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32869 DPT=137 LEN=58
196.151448] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlp2s0 OUT= MAC=34:23:87:16:58:ef:4c:60:de:9e:4f:d5:08:00 SRC=192.168.254.254 DST=192.168.254.25 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=32869 DPT=137 LEN=58
brylah@linux-pxm9:~> mount /dev/mspblk0 /tmp/test
mount: only root can do that
brylah@linux-pxm9:~> su
Password:
linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # mount /dev/mspblk0 /tmp/test
FUSE exfat 1.1.0
ERROR: exFAT file system is not found.**

So maybe it’s not exFAT? Any other ideas?

**

The fuse exfat in 13.2 doesn’ work. At least on my machine.
I saw some post here too that it is not working.

I can access the exfat card though thru the samsung galaxy camera
via usb cable to retrieve the pictures using shotwell.

wtch pk full hd movie free here ,
http://adf.ly/vUkRy

On 2015-01-14 03:06, BoonDoc wrote:

> linux-pxm9:/home/brylah # mount /dev/mspblk0 /tmp/test
> FUSE exfat 1.1.0
> ERROR: exFAT file system is not found.*
>
>
> So maybe it’s not exFAT? Any other ideas?

Dunno. Maybe it does not work in 13.2, as conram says. Maybe there is a
way to find out for sure if it is exfat or not, but I don’t have any
such card to test it.

–
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

I thought he said he’s dual booting with windows.

Yes I am dual booting with Windows 8 and OpenSuSE 13.2. As an update, it seems regular SDcards work fine. It’s just the Sony memory stick with SD adapter that does not work. It’s not a big deal I guess as I’m sure I can just plug in the camera with the USB port. I’m just someone who when finds a probem tries to find a solution. I guess the solution to this will take some time. Thanks for everyone’s help so far.

Hi,
I don’t mean to offend you my previous post qouting robin_listas
was just saying if it can’t be read in linux windows will be able to detect
if it is an exfat. exfat is coming from windows.