Intel soundcard no longer works

Thanks all…

I have an intel chip sound card that doesn’t seem to work with Suse 11.1. It used to work in prior versions of suse; so I know it works… somehow. I’ve tried installing the Unix/Linux High Definition Audio (HDA) and the Audio Codec (AC) 97 drivers from the vendor. Oddly the installer states that it can’t find a soundcard. :sarcastic: I’ve also tried testing it via the ???Alsa??? CLI audio testing. No cheese for me… I’m pretty sure it’s not Alsa, due to what the Yast Hardware config states. But, I’m no expert… What can you guys make of it? Muchos Mahalo’s!!!

dmesg - dmesg.txt - (beta)
Alsa diag script -

Your sound card is not being recognized.

I notice this:

!!ALSA Version

Driver version:     
Library version:    1.0.14
Utilities version:  1.0.18

Version 1.0.14 makes no sense for the library, and no driver version is detected. That pretty much confirms that you were messing about with some vendor’s custom driver, or you tried some custom compile, and failed miserably.

Generally speaking, thats a bad idea.

I recommend you remove that driver (did the vendor provide you instructions on how to do that? I hope so, cause I can’t help you there). And then install the default alsa that comes with openSUSE-11.1.

Then try running the script again.

hmm… no go on making the uninstall easy.

Doing a quick rebuild since I haven’t done any big changes yet. Will repost freash dmsg and alsa results when done.

… ??? …


Don’t know how… but it does… The big question is… What I do to screw it up?

Thanks for the helps…

Glad to read it works. If you wish to make a snapshot of your configuration, so as to have a record as to how it is set up when it works, you could if using openSUSE-11.1, you can do that, with your PC connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and execute :
/usr/sbin/ --no-uploadIt will store a text file alsa-info.txt under /tmp. Copy and put that somewhere, as it is a snapshot of your working configuration.

You caould also copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and copy and paste the output into a text file: rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/soundStore that text file in the same place as the alsa-info.txt file. Together they record your functioning sound configuration.

Done & done…

It was probably that I didn’t do /usr/sbin/alsaconf…