Intel Linux Graphics Installer

Is possible to know when (and if) https://01.org/linuxgraphics/ will be available on oSUSE?

Is possible to do a package request? If yes, can you please explain me how to do or provide links?

On Thu 14 Mar 2013 12:26:01 AM CDT, susebh wrote:

Is possible to know when (and if) https://01.org/linuxgraphics/ will be
available on oSUSE?

Is possible to do a package request? If yes, can you please explain me
how to do or provide links?

Hi
The 2.20.19 is already in 12.3? It’s the xf86-video-intel driver and
rest of the items listed in their stack. Using the installer above will
actually roll back items… it’s an older release.


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 6:36, 3 users, load average: 0.15, 0.13, 0.15
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Sorry, I badly explained! I’m asking for the tool, not specifically for drivers release. Time goes on and oSUSE won’t have always the latest drivers release that Intel will provide. And instead of using the whole Xorg repo, I’m asking if the tool (Intel Linux Graphics Installer) will be available for oSUSE.

|
|
[TR=“class: odd views-row-first”]
[TD] Intel Linux Graphics Installer
Released: 7 Mar 2013
Version: 1.0
Release Notes [/TD]
[TD=“class: views-field views-field-field-download-files”]

[/TD]
[/TR]

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Why would you want an installer when the software it installs is already available? The package malcolmlewis mentioned installs the drivers fine, like said in latest version.

Because that helps a non rolling release distro (just like Ubuntu and Fedora) to have always the latest drivers officially installed.
In fact, latest Intel drivers were not available on oSUSE 12.2.
it would be really convenient to maintain the stability of oSUSE and at the same time the latest version of Intel drivers, especially for those who use Steam! rotfl!

On Thu 14 Mar 2013 04:16:01 PM CDT, susebh wrote:

Because that helps a -non rolling release- distro (just like Ubuntu and
Fedora) to have always the latest drivers officially installed.
In fact, latest Intel drivers were not available on oSUSE 12.2.
it would be really convenient to maintain the stability of oSUSE and at
the same time the latest version of Intel drivers, especially for those
who use Steam! rotfl!

Hi
If you look at the source rpm the driver it would install is version
2.20.12. In openSUSE 12.2 from the development repository (X11:XOrg)
it’s at version 2.21.4… this seems like the latest to me.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=X11%3AXOrg&package=xf86-video-intel

I suggest you look around the build service first…
http://software.opensuse.org/package/xf86-video-intel


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 12:03, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.10, 0.09
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

So, in short, are you then saying that it is better to use the OBS rather than the installer?

On Thu 14 Mar 2013 11:16:02 PM CDT, susebh wrote:

malcolmlewis;2535101 Wrote:
> Hi
> If you look at the source rpm the driver it would install is version
> 2.20.12. In openSUSE 12.2 from the development repository (X11:XOrg)
> it’s at version 2.21.4… this seems like the latest to me.
> http://tinyurl.com/c82oou3
>
> I suggest you look around the build service first…
> ‘software.opensuse.org:’
> (openSUSE Software)
>

So, in short, are you then saying that it is better to use the OBS
rather than the installer?

Hi
Yes for sure, the X11:Xorg repository would be the one to use, I would
recommend you don’t leave the repository active if you add it.

Just add, update, then disable. Then keep an eye on it to see if there
are updates, investigate the changes, then re-enable and update.


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 1:19, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Thanks!
And, what will be the difference betwenn disabling the repo or lowering its priority?

On Fri 15 Mar 2013 07:46:01 AM CDT, susebh wrote:

malcolmlewis;2535283 Wrote:
> Hi
> Yes for sure, the X11:Xorg repository would be the one to use, I would
> recommend you don’t leave the repository active if you add it.
>
> Just add, update, then disable. Then keep an eye on it to see if there
> are updates, investigate the changes, then re-enable and update.
>
> –

And, what will be the difference betwenn disabling the repo or lowering
its priority?

Hi
That should work. Since it’s a development project pointing at factory
there may be some conflicts at some point, hopefully not.


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 9:26, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.16, 0.14
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

I too would like the graphics-installer to accept the opensuse 12.3 distribution. RedHat and Umbuntu are in it. My reason is that the VIDEO ACCELERATION AND OTHER VIDEO FEATURES OF THE INTEL 1920 X 1080 CARD ARE NOT WORKING. Therefore I cannot use any of the video players like xine, mplayer, or vlc. The computer is a HP Envy 17t-j000 with a 1920 x 1080 display. The driver that came with opensuse is

Module intel: vendor=“X.Org Foundation” 1288.436] compiled for 1.13.1, module version = 2.20.19
1288.436] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
1288.436] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 13.1
1288.436] (II)

This driver, or other modules, don’t allow video processing. I am not an expert, and if there is another solution to the problem, please let me know.

Thanks for being there,

JD

I am trying to install Intel Graphics driver on OpenSuse 11.3, i am getting that gtk±3.0 package not found error.
Please share your inputs to install Intel Graphics Driver on OpenSUSE 11.3

Thanks,
Srinivas.

Please, this is an old thread, about a different openSUSE version and maybe even about a different problem.

Not many people will see your post at the end of such an old thread. It is much better to start a new thread with a good title. That will expose your problem much more and hopefully draw the attention of people that can help you.

This thread is CLOSED.