Installing Updates, At this rate my drive will be full soon!

Hi,
I am new to OpenSUSE. A master of Windows, I have been distro hopping for years, but never found a good fit. With the new era of the Appleization of MS, you know, the Google/Chrome Store, hidden product keys, manditory Outlook accounts and all their other tracking BS, I finally had to jump ship and I have settled into OpenSUSE. I wanted a non-Ubuntu (Ubuntu going the way of Win?) distro that was easy to install and setup, especially finding all my hardware. OpenSUSE was the only one that scored 100% out of the box. Getting Flash to work was the only challenge, took some reading, but was do-able. And I find Brazero fails to burn bootable discs frequently while my PowerISO in Win has never failed a burn. I do have some questions tho:

1. I notice the installer made separate partitions for the system(20Gb I think) and data(220Gb). I just did my 3rd software update. Has been a week since the last one. It now wants to download 1.5Gb of updates. Is this normal, so big? Won’t my system partition fill up rapidly at this rate? What happens when it is full?
  2. My network, via USB Wifi, sometimes drops the connection and becomes unlisted in the Network Manager. Toggling it off and back on returns it to the list. It is a strong signal. Anything I should know.? Its a TP Link W722N USB external wifi adapter that was found by the installer and worked straight away after the initial install.
    Packard Bell EasyNote TK AMDAthlon P320 4Gb DDR3 RAM
    dual boot Win 7 and OpenSUSE
    Thanks
    mannshands

Hi

I think openSuSE does not keep the downloaded update packages. It just downloads them and installes but than deletes the downloaded update files (unless you tell openSuSe to keep them). You could check your available disk space before and after update. On my system its just the same.

What I tend to do with less HD space is to have just one partition for / (root) and /home. Prevents that root runs out of space once it has to download a lot of stuff for updates.

The most updates you get when you just installed openSuSE and the release is already a few month old. If you keep updating once a week that should not be a large download.

I hope you settled with one desktop environment instead of installing all, kde, gnome, xfce… - that also makes a difference for updates.

Not sure about the wifi. It could be a Network manager thing. You could try the ‘traditional method’ instead of the ‘Network manager’ in the Network-interfaces setting from Yast.

Hope you continue to like your openSuSE!

Hi
I used the full installer with the Gnome Desktop. Will monitor the free space in the system partition. Thanks
Cheers
mannshands

Hello and welcome here.

After reading through your post, I see that you have hidden a second question in it. You better start a thread for every question you have. In this case specialy because that second question should go to the Wireless section. This is to draw the attention to your problem from people that are watchiing the several forums they feel they are entitled to offer help.

Also about your first question (and that is true for most questions/problems) do not only use rather vague descriptions like “I do a software update”, but add to it a precise description about what you do. Apart from the fact that “doing an update” is already something used by many for things like patching/updating/upgrading/new-installing-to reach-a-new-version, doing things in Unix/Linux is mostly possible in several ways. And others can not guess which one you used.

And as said above, when you use zypper/YaST to Patch and/or Upgrade, the downloaded packages will be removed after the action and the old versions will no longer be there. That last statement is not true for a new Kernel, where (by default) one Kernel will be kept, which means that you need sace for three kernels, the running one, the new on and the one before the running one that will be removed soon.

BTW those default 20GB is more then enough for most (in my case it is used for 30%). And the seperate partition for /home has several advantages. At least one is mentioned above. Another one is that you can install a new version of the operating system wthout even touching the user data in /home.

I use K3B for burning and it has never failed me.

I notice the installer made separate partitions for the system(20Gb I think) and data(220Gb). I just did my 3rd software update. Has been a week since the last one. It now wants to download 1.5Gb of updates. Is this normal, so big? Won’t my system partition fill up rapidly at this rate? What happens when it is full?

This is not a problem. Unlike Windows, the updates do not as a rule add onto previously installed updates and continuously mushroom in size. Instead, most often they replace the updated parts with the new one.

I have been running openSUSE for a long time, and I have a lot of graphics and video manipulation programs, as well as OpenOffice and many other programs, installed. Yet, my root directory (where programs are installed) still takes up less than 10 Gib of disk space!

On 2014-08-26 15:46, mannshands wrote:

> I do have some questions tho:
> 1. I notice the installer made separate partitions for the system(20Gb I
> think) and data(220Gb). I just did my 3rd software update. Has been a
> week since the last one. It now wants to download 1.5Gb of updates. Is
> this normal, so big? Won’t my system partition fill up rapidly at this
> rate? What happens when it is full?

Ok, lets assume you have installed openSUSE 13.1 - you have not said.
I’ll guess that you are using the gnome desktop, because you mention
brasero - but you have not said which desktop, I have to guess.

Large /updates/ do not fill up more space, as libraries and applications
are replaced by a newer version, so space used is about the same. Maybe
it grows a bit, sometimes a new library is added because of
dependencies. Of course, during the update procedure you may need
perhaps 3 or 4 GiB available, then the used space will diminish (a big
chunk after reboot).

But, you may have activated “keep downloaded packages”, in which case,
all those downloads are kept.

Then… 1.5 GB of updates is not typical, not for openSUSE 13.1. Yes, it
can be so for Tumbleweed or factory. And it can be so if the system has
just been installed, and you are catching up with the updates made
during the more than half a year since release.

Then, if you are using btrfs partitions with snapshots active, those
snapshots will fill up the space, yes, till the snapshots are purged. 20
GiB is too small for a btrfs system, IMO.

So, question:

What repositories do you have enabled? Please run this command in a
terminal:

zypper lr --details

and paste it all here, from initial command prompt, to last command
prompt, in a single mouse sweep, and please do so inside code tags (the
‘#’ button in the forum editor).
See photo

> 2. My network, via USB Wifi, sometimes drops the connection and becomes

Sorry, I’ll ignore this question. Please post one question per thread,
and in the appropriate subforum. That one should go to the network or
wireless forums.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)