Installing Unsupported Graphic Card, Kernel Source File problem

I am trying to install nVidia Corporation GT520 [GeForce GT520], which is unsupported, I have down loaded from Nvivida website, The file is:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.40.run
When I try to install it, it is asking for Kernel Source files/Kernel Source Path, how do to deal with the Source file issue?

Thanking you in advance

Go to software manager and install the Pattern - Base Devlopment

Then make sure you have : gcc, make, kernel-source

But you might want to look at:
LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.45 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

or

S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 10:26:02 +0530, kujirasan
<kujirasan@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> I am trying to install nVidia Corporation GT520 [GeForce GT520], which
> is unsupported, I have down loaded from Nvivida website, The file is:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.40.run
> When I try to install it, it is asking for Kernel Source files/Kernel
> Source Path, how do to deal with the Source file issue?
>
> Thanking you in advance
>

this should help: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

phani.

Thanks for the replies, as one problem is solved another ones comes, is the classic Linux case!
How to configure the source files? This what is now the computer asking! To configure the source files!

You need to be clearer about what you mean and are now trying to do

HI Caf, nice to see you as Admin.
Ok I explain everything I did:
1.I type init 3, shut down xserver
2.As root, I type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.40.run, the I am asked to accept or not, I accept , after that this message shows up:

The kernel header file ’ /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h’ does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel files in ’/usr/srd/linux’ have not been configured .

So how to configure the files?

You should first update the kernel, then install/update the kernel sources, then try again.

On 28/04/12 10:56, please try again wrote:
>
> You should first update the kernel, then install/update the kernel
> sources, then try again.
>
>

Agreed
+1

I don’t. Met some kernel packages recently where some scripts don’t run, which results in kernel-sources that have no “config”.
@OP: from what you write, I get that you don’t run the openSUSE 12.1 kernel. Are you trying a 12.2 Milestone release? If so. open a terminal window and do

cd /usr/src/linux
su -c 'make cloneconfig && make prepare'

this will “prepare the kernel-sources”, and allow you to build the NVIDIA driver module.

BTW: where did you find info that the GT520 is not supported? It is supported, both by the nouveau driver and the NVIDIA proprietary driver.

On 2012-04-28 14:16, Knurpht wrote:

> this will “prepare the kernel-sources”, and allow you to build the
> NVIDIA driver module.

Agree to this :slight_smile:

And it should be in the wiki.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)