installing tomcat on minimal server install

Trying to figure out the best way to go about getting tomcat installed on a new minimal server install of 12.2. When I try to install tomcat but it cant be provided and wants me to uninstall the minimal base install. Which when doing so then kicks off the install of about 150 packages, most of which I have no want to install on this server. Is there an easy way to accomplish this or I am looking at doing the install manually?

~> sudo zypper install tomcat
root’s password:
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Resolving package dependencies…

Problem: tomcat-7.0.27-2.6.1.noarch requires jakarta-commons-logging, but this requirement cannot be provided
uninstallable providers: apache-commons-logging-1.1.1-4.1.1.noarch[repo-oss]
Solution 1: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts-12.2-5.5.1.x86_64
Solution 2: do not install tomcat-7.0.27-2.6.1.noarch
Solution 3: do not install tomcat-7.0.27-2.6.1.noarch
Solution 4: break tomcat-7.0.27-2.6.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

No such problem here with openSUSE 12.2 and installing Tomcat from YaST under KDE:

http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/40416555

See what was installed from YaST with Tomcat. I have a fully updated openSUSE 12.2 KDE Installation. I could see that everything required was coming from the OSS repository. Also, you can do the same thing from YaST in Terminal, with no Desktop loaded. Please note I did not claim to know how to use Tomcat, only how to install it. I would say you need to pick “Solution 1: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts-12.2-5.5.1.x86_64”.

Thank You,

Yes I understand I can do that, as I stated before the deinstallation of the minimal_base triggers the install of a bunch of packages I don’t want. Specifically I am running this as a headless server so I have no need to install any windowing system or the graphical programs that go with it. I simply want to install a server application through the packaging system without having to bloat out my system.

The current server is running 11.4 with the minimal server install and I had no issues with using yast/zypper to handle the installation of tomcat on that machine. It just seems odd to me that server application would require the install of all these various windowing packages and graphical utils. I will move forward with manually getting and installing the dependencies but then it makes the management of getting updates a lot tougher (more manual).

Your only choice then is to File a bug report on this issue for openSUSE 12.2 and continue to use openSUSE version 11.4. Consider that the number of files you need to load still may not amount to much really, but in the end, you can only use the tools as given to us by the openSUSE developers. They don’t know its a problem unless you report that it is.

openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE

Thank You,