Installing SUSE12.1 on PC with an I7 iASUS P8H61-M rev 3 and WN7-64bits on SAMSUNG SSD 830

Hi all,

I just bought a new PC with a I7 CPU and WIN-7 installed on a SAMSUNG SSD 830+ another large HDD. I had a Open SUSE linux 12.1 DVD but when I try to install SUSE the following happends:
      - kernel boots
      - SUSE immage is displayed
      - I reach the 1st menu asking for install or update + other options
      - I choose to install and then the installation process asks me to insert the CD1 in the DVD driver
      - When I click OK it keeps on asking me to insert the CD1

I burned another new DVD with Live KDE and when booting somewhat simmilar thigns happen. Kernel boots and choice menu is reached, but when installation starts, just that after dispalying "master boot record id not found" and  "BiosBootDevice not found" installation proccess starts a loop that begins with "mount -ro /dec/sda1 /mnt"  continues with /dev/sda2 and 3 and then with /dev/sdb1 2 and 3 and to each "mount" command a "no such device /mnt" is th answer.     
      It seems to me that the WIN7-64 installation fioddled around with MBR on SSD disk.

Please please, anyone can help??

expecting fedback, friendly yours SH.

new information for the tread above:

Using the Full CD of SUSE 12.1 as described above, after kernel boot and start of Installation process the following messages apear on the console:
“…
scanning devices
dud url: disk:/?device=usb
rescaning devices
url mount: disk:/?device=usb
no new driver updates found
repository: looking for cd:/
repository not found
Automatic setup no possible…”
---------here installation stops and I get the request to install CD1 as described in the 1st part of the post above

thanks to anyone that could help friendly yours SH.

Type of BIOS and type of disk formatting on this new machine???

Hi Gogalthorp,

Thanks for you time and effort. I can try to find this information, but it would be helpfull to advice how to find it, especially when it comes to “type of disk formating”.
Looking in the WIN7 configuration pannel, I found

• for IDE ATA/ATAPI controler, in the details TAB the values for PCI controler:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C00&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_05
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C00&SUBSYS_844D1043
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C00&CC_01018F
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C00&CC_0101

• for the disk SAMSUNG SSD830 in the details TAB values :
    IDE\DiskSAMSUNG_SSD_830_Series__________________CXM03B1Q
    IDE\SAMSUNG_SSD_830_Series__________________CXM03B1Q
    IDE\DiskSAMSUNG_SSD_830_Series__________________
    SAMSUNG_SSD_830_Series__________________CXM03B1Q
    GenDisk

• For BIOS driver for m$oft systems I found in the TAB details
    ROOT\mssmbios

I guuess this information is nto enouge, soonmore to come…thanks, friendly yours DH.

Looking on ASUS site I found
at this site: ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P8H61-M
this information :
BIOS 32 Mb Flash ROM , EFI AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, ACPI v2.0a, SM BIOS v2.6, Multi-language BIOS

I tried to download MbrFix utility to get information about the Mbr and its ID, but the utility is not WIN7-64 compatible :frowning:
I need some real help here. Can anyone give me a some hits? thanks to all SH.

Problem is EFI BIOS. This is the “NEW” BIOS in town and it does cause problems. Also often the partitioning is GUID which is also new and causes interesting problems for the older Grub boot program. 12.2 should address at least some of the problems since it will use Grub 2 by default. Trouble is there is no push this button and fix it solutions for 12.1.

You might do a search here on EFI and GUID Ther have been several discussions recently

Basically you can not install OpenSUSE 12.1 or earlier on the setup using the defaults. Also it may require some adjustment to the BIOS depending on how the computer maker set things up. Which in turn may effect the already installed Windows.

You also may want to try the current 12.2 beta release. But remember it is a beta and can almost be a certainty that there are bugs. If you go that way please report any problems to Bugzilla.
Note that there is no reason to report this for the 12.1 build since it is known. Though there may be some suggested workarounds on Bugzilla

I did some searches as you indicated. I am surprised to find some articles like “Booting openSUSE on UEFI BIOS with ELILO and Grub2 (part I - Windows dual-boot )” and part II, seem to indicate this is very possible. On the other hand, you advise to wait for open SUSE 12.2 in July. I am confused, can you clarify? It’s true the article above is rather cryptic, or maybe I missed soem essential point here and then maybe you could help and clarify. The author of the articles, advised me to open a thread which is what I did even before him asking me to do so.

It is a matter of knowledge. Could I get it to work? Probably. But there are a myriad of pitfalls and trade offs. You can use ELILO for the install and later change to Grub2, but here is the trade off, neither LILO or Grub 2 are supported in Yast and therefore you will run into problems with upgrades and patches that may assume legacy grub. ie you will constantly be chasing problems.

I suggested you try the beta not wait…

I agree it’s an issue, I don’t agree it can’t be done. I helped someone a week ago using this article by our valued member @please_try_again: http://forums.opensuse.org/vbcms-comments/471434-article-booting-opensuse-uefi-bios-elilo-grub2-part-i.html?highlight=elilo+uefi. We ended up with a running system.
Another thing: I’ve seen boards where UEFI could be turned on/off. In one occasion (IIRC an ASUS board) the BIOS needed a newer version to have the option available. I’d check out the ASUS support. All of my ASUS motherboards had a BIOS update available when I bought them, never met one shipped with latest BIOS version.

The “problem” is that the perl boot loader (the piece of software which is responsible for rewriting the boot menu after a kernel change in openSUSE) doesn’t support Grub2 under 12.1. Thus after a kernel update - BEFORE rebooting - you’ll have to either run updateGrub2 (included in package updategrub available in my repo) or run /usr/sbin/grub2-efi-mkconfig (followed by -o /boot/grub2-efi/grub.cfg to write the menu) … or even edit this file manually.

• notice that updateGrub2 can be used for both installing Grub2 and refreshing the menu. It can also be used under 12.2 (as of Milestone3) to enable graphical boot menu (it needs to install and compile a missing font) on both UEFI and Legacy BIOS systems.

On 2012-05-12 02:06, please try again wrote:
>
> gogalthorp;2462120 Wrote:
>> You can use ELILO for the install and later change to Grub2, but here is
>> the trade off, neither LILO or Grub 2 are supported in Yast and
>> therefore you will run into problems with upgrades and patches that may
>> assume legacy grub. ie you will constantly be chasing problems.
>
> The “problem” is that the perl boot loader (the piece of software which
> is responsible for rewriting the boot menu after a kernel change in
> openSUSE) doesn’t support Grub2 under 12.1.

Why not use the kernel symlink?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Hi,

I apologize. I hadn’t seen your thread before i advised you to open one. The difference is that 12.2 has an option to install grub2-efi (the one you need on UEFI and NOT grub2!) during setup. 12.1 does not and the UEFI setup under 12.1 installs ELILO (which can not boot WIndows). You have to install grub2-efi later - as described in the article - if you want to use a boot manager to dual boot with Windows. But the first thing you have to make sure is that you’re actually running a UEFI setup and that your HD uses GUID (GPT) and not MBR partition scheme. I suggest runnning Windows disk manager and/or the Windows command line utility diskpart and comparing what you see with the pictures in the addendum of the article (Legacy or UEFI Windows installation?). That you have a UEFI BIOS with Windows preinstalled doesn’t mean that Windows was installed in UEFI mode. Further you might have to call the BIOS setup with openSUSE install DVD (not live CD!) inserted just before booting and explicitely select the UEFI boot device (or drag its icon into the first position) to ensure that the BIOS will switch to UEFI and so Linux setup run in UEFI mode. I don’t know if it is necessary on all mainboards.

Short answer:

linux-boot-prober doesn’t output symlinks. (Notice it is a “short” answer!).

Long answer:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1592/expiredc.png

Medium answer:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8926/redirected.png

>:(

Carlos, as you might have guessed, I first tried to answer your question, but my post got lost, like half of everything I post here in the last couple months. Sometimes, I rewrite my posts, and sometimes I don’t have time. I have to remember the words of Ecclesiastes “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity” ("Absolutely pointless! Everything is pointless.) to keep posting here after losing so much text.

Please be nice and don’t tell me again an again to use nntp. If I don’t, I must have a reason, same for clipboard copying/pasting and It’s All Text kind of plugin.

Anyway … back to your question.

Probably because not all distros use kernel symlinks (Fedora does not) and because the first purpose of a boot manager is to boot any kind of systems. If you put symlinks in the section of grub.cfg reserved to the host system, they’ll get overwritten next time grub2-mkconfig is run (just like everything else you put there). While looking for kernel in other partitions, linux-boot-prober skips symlinks. Otherwise it would report each kernel twice. However since Grub2 menu is untouched yet by openSUSE 12.1, why not using symlinks indeed ? You can try. It’s not a big deal to duplicate the main boot entry (not replace, just duplicate) and see if the one using symlinks is going to boot. In any case - as long as you don’t introduce syntax errors in Grub menu - it certainly won’t hurt.

• Notice that - AFAIK - only “my” os-prober version in able to output full openSUSE and Fedora kernel entries (including all boot parameters). Other versions look for grub.cfg in /boot/grub (instead of /boot/grub2). As a consequence, linux-boot-prober can read Ubuntu entries (mainstream is Debian, I guess) but not other openSUSE or Fedora installations which both put grub.cfg in /boot/grub2.

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=758732

But when you reach the point where you wonder how to write the menu … you’re almost done. This really is the easy part.

Hi all of you,
Thanks for your time effort and dedication: I really appreciate!!
I just booted 12.2 beta3 and it worked smoothly on all aspects.
Grapĥical card driver is not loaded yet, but does not seem necessary: the VGA emulation works very well !!
I have one more question: when 12.2 version is finally out, do I have to reinstall it or via on line upgrades the existing beta 3 system will upgrade itself to full 12.2.
I am using the system as I am typing…thanks again…

thanks for your feedback and help friendly yours SH

On 2012-05-12 04:06, please try again wrote:

>> Why not use the kernel symlink?
>>
>
> Short_answer:
>
> linux-boot-prober doesn’t output symlinks. (Notice it is a “short”
> answer!).

Maybe I did not explain myself.

In /boot there is a symlink “vmlinuz” that alwways points to the current
kernel, and that is maintained by the kernel installer. Thus there is no
need in the grub files to refer to the exact kernel version, but just use
“vmlinuz”. Even if you do not edit menu.lst, it works always. And there is
another link pointing to the old kernel, and another pair to the ramdisk image.

> Long_answer:_
>
>
> [image: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1592/expiredc.png]

“Document expired.”

>
> Medium_answer:_
>
> [image: http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8926/redirected.png]

“The page is not redirecting properly.”

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-05-12 11:06, sharphawk64 wrote:
>
> Hi all of you,
> Thanks for your time effort and dedication: I really appreciate!!
> I just booted 12.2 beta3 and it worked smoothly on all aspects.
> Grapĥical card driver is not loaded yet, but does not seem necessary:
> the VGA emulation works very well !!

Good!

> I have one more question: when 12.2 version is finally out, do I have
> to reinstall it or via on line upgrades the existing beta 3 system will
> upgrade itself to full 12.2.

Yes, upgrade is possible, but it has to be done with “zypper dup”. Or with
the DVD upgrade method.

No, “zypper up” is not enough.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-05-12 09:16, please try again wrote:
>
> Carlos, as you might have guessed, I first tried to answer your
> question, but my post got lost, like half of everything I post here in
> the last couple months. Sometimes, I rewrite my posts, and sometimes I
> don’t have time. I have to remember the words of Ecclesiastes “Vanity of
> vanities, all is vanity” ("Absolutely pointless! Everything is
> pointless.) to keep posting here after losing so much text.

Oh, well… what can I say…
I also have problems to connect via nntp, but I don’t loose posts. Yet. I
can loose half of post that doesn’t get through, though.

> Please be nice and don’t tell me again an again to use nntp. If I
> don’t, I must have a reason, same for clipboard copying/pasting and It’s
> All Text kind of plugin.

No, I won’t. :slight_smile:

>
> Anyway … back to your question.
>
> robin_listas;2462150 Wrote:
>>
>> Why not use the kernel symlink?
>>
>
> Probably because not all distros use kernel symlinks (Fedora does not)
> and because the first purpose of a boot manager is to boot any kind of
> systems. If you put symlinks in the section of grub.cfg reserved to the
> host system, they’ll get overwritten next time grub2-mkconfig is run
> (just like everything else you put there). While looking for kernel in
> other partitions, linux-boot-prober skips symlinks. Otherwise it would
> report each kernel twice. However since Grub2 menu is untouched yet by
> openSUSE 12.1, why not using symlinks indeed ? You can try. It’s not a
> big deal to duplicate the main boot entry (not replace, just duplicate)
> and see if the one using symlinks is going to boot. In any case - as
> long as you don’t introduce syntax errors in Grub menu - it certainly
> won’t hurt.

I’m using those symlinks, it works (openSUSE only). For me. It does not get
rewritten. Obviously, on kernel install/update a new entry gets written,
yes, and old one get removed. Yes. The symlink entry is below those, it
doesn’t have a yast comment and is left alone. I use it for my own settings
different from the defaults:

> title Desktop -- openSUSE 12.1 - verbose II
>     root (hd0,1)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/**** resume=/dev/disk/by-label/Swap splash=verbose console=tty1 loglevel=3 showopts vga=0x317
>     initrd /boot/initrd

And it does boot - but I do not use grub 2.

This is the trick I use sometimes to boot from one grub “system” another
oS. As it will not get updated entries for the other system, the link will
still work after an update.

I have not tested this with other Linux flavours, nor with updategrub.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Hi all,

Allow me to start by thanking you all for the patience, time , effort and dedication. I tried to install openSUSE12.2 b3 and it does work very well. Disk partitioning worked, all the installation went smooth!!! Thanks again…

I had just one more question: do I have to reinstall 12.2 when it comes out, or updates automatically proposed will upgrade the current installation to fa fully installed one?

thanks for you feedback and help friendly yours SH.