Installing Suse11 on MSI Wind Clone

Hi
I’m a total newbie, but have now on 2nd try successfully installed suse11 on my PC (after have experienced KDE crash when I did an update & ignored warnings)!!

I’m now trying to install on a Medion E1210 which is a version of the MSI Wind. Intel Atom processor N270 (1.6) with a 10" screen at 1024 x 600. The live DVD boots OK but doesn’t adjust to the screen & I can’t see the taskbar. Have tried changing screen resolution etc., & whilst icon size changes taskbar is still invisible! As the press says this machine is to be sold with Suse11 installed I’m assuming there’s a solution to this - any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

PS: Wouldn’t be up to rebuilding the kernel as I really am a total newbie!!!

Bob

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 12:06 +0000, Bobstead wrote:
> Hi
> I’m a total newbie, but have now on 2nd try successfully installed
> suse11 on my PC (after have experienced KDE crash when I did an update
> & ignored warnings)!!
>
> I’m now trying to install on a Medion E1210 which is a version of the
> MSI Wind. Intel Atom processor N270 (1.6) with a 10" screen at 1024 x
> 600. The live DVD boots OK but doesn’t adjust to the screen & I can’t
> see the taskbar. Have tried changing screen resolution etc., & whilst
> icon size changes taskbar is still invisible! As the press says this
> machine is to be sold with Suse11 installed I’m assuming there’s a
> solution to this - any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Try a normal CD/DVD of 11 and use a text based install. I know that’s
not as “good” as a live. But there are some significant differences…

You can do an image backup of the hard drive before trying this…
(of course).

>
> PS: Wouldn’t be up to rebuilding the kernel as I really am a total
> newbie!!!
>
> Bob
>
>

Hi Thanks for this, I tried he text version on live DVD, but it didn’t offer any other options, so after further fiddling I tried booting into the failsafe option & this recognised the screen immediately but of course didn’t auto configure a number of other things.

Before I try doing an install does anyone have any guidance what options to choose drn install that might re-create the failsafe mode (and set up the screen correctly) so that I can get up & running & then set up things like the network manually??

Thanks

Bob

If you haven’t stumbled across that page yet:
OpenSuse 11.0 - MSI WInd User wiki

Have a read and I’m sure you’ll find your answers plus many other tips. As far as I’m aware, the only difference between Wind and Medion is wifi pci card, but for the rest just follow the wiki.
FYI, Wind and clones will be supplied with SLED which is Novel Suse as well, but not exactly same product as OpenSuse11.

Hi

Just found that page this morning! Looks complex, will read it carefully first!

Thanks Bob

The opensuse wiki now has an article with recent information about how to set-up openSUSE on a MSI Wind. Might work for clones as well.

Installation on MSI Wind - openSUSE