Installing Skype on 11.4 (64 Bit)

At the Skype website, they are offering a package for 12.1. I am running 11.4 (64 Bit). I still downloaded the package hoping it may work.

I read SDB:Skype - openSUSE and installed the necessary 32 bit packages.

Now when I try to install skype I get

# zypper in skype-4.0.0.7-suse.i586.rpm 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15) needed by skype-4.0.0.7-suse121.i586
 Solution 1: do not install skype-4.0.0.7-suse121.i586
 Solution 2: break skype by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): 

What is the solution ?

On 2012-06-18 05:06, suse kid wrote:

> What is the solution ?

None. Don’t install.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 03:06:02 +0000, suse kid wrote:

> What is the solution ?

Install libstdc++46-32bit-4.6.2_20111026-1.1.4.x86_64. It’s in the OSS
repository.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 06/18/2012 05:28 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2012-06-18 05:06, suse kid wrote:
>
>> What is the solution ?
>
> None. Don’t install.
>

i’m running Skype 2.2.0.25 (Beta) on my 11.4, it was the latest and
greatest avilable for 11.4 when i installed my system…see if you
can’t find a copy of skype-2.2.0.25-suse.i586.rpm" floating on the net
somewhere…

and, once downloaded to your machine, follow the directions on that page
you cited and open a terminal/console, navigate to the directory you
downloaded to (maybe ~/Download) and issue this magic:


su -c 'zypper in skype-2.2.0.25-suse.i586.rpm'

it works ok, but i HAVE seen the failures noted here:

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCL-733?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

usually i can avoid the dead stop by moving my mouse pointer away from
the skype window and let it fully come up without trying to click until
a few seconds after its opening sound…

and, if it does fail then i just delete both ~/.Skype/shared.lck and
~/.Skype/shared.xml and then when i click to launch Skype i have to
agree to their license and log in…and, it will work ok for maybe a
day, or a month (repeat)…


dd

hendersj](http://forums.opensuse.org/members/hendersj.html) >> i don’t have this libstdc++46 version on my repos… Can you tell me where you found it ?

BTW, this thread is also on the same topic : http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/476084-skype-4-anyone-got-work.html

On 2012-06-18 08:08, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 03:06:02 +0000, suse kid wrote:
>
>> What is the solution ?
>
> Install libstdc++46-32bit-4.6.2_20111026-1.1.4.x86_64. It’s in the OSS
> repository.

No, the 11.4 repo has libstdc++45-32bit-4.5.1. There are some other repos
with different versions, but changing this library on a system is not
recommended, though it might work.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Christophe deR wrote:

> don’t
> have this libstdc++46 version on my repos… Can you tell me where you
> found it ?

My installation says it’s in the OSS repo.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:18:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2012-06-18 08:08, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 03:06:02 +0000, suse kid wrote:
>>
>>> What is the solution ?
>>
>> Install libstdc++46-32bit-4.6.2_20111026-1.1.4.x86_64. It’s in the OSS
>> repository.
>
> No, the 11.4 repo has libstdc++45-32bit-4.5.1. There are some other
> repos with different versions, but changing this library on a system is
> not recommended, though it might work.

m-/ I read it as 12.1 for some reason, not 11.4.

My mistake. To the OP, yeah, it’s not supported by Skype on 11.4, so
you’d have to ask them for a 11.4 package or update to 12.1.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2012-06-18 18:45, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:18:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> My mistake. To the OP, yeah, it’s not supported by Skype on 11.4, so
> you’d have to ask them for a 11.4 package or update to 12.1.

There is a static package
here

That one might work. However, I fail to see the install instructions.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Installation instructions are in the README file. I haven’t tried it yet.

On 2012-06-18 22:26, JJMT wrote:
> Installation instructions are in the README file. I haven’t tried it
> yet.

Right… But only a paragraph, and not really detailed.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I installed the dynamic static version. It seems to work. Here’s how:

  1. Download the archive (skype-4.0.0.7.tar.bz2).
  2. In Yast, uninstall the previous version of skype (if necessary).
  3. Unpack the archive you downloaded from skype somewhere.
  4. As root (meaning, use su) copy the executable “skype” to /usr/bin.
  5. As root (meaning, use su) copy all the directories to /usr/share/skype.

That’s all there is to it.

I have upgraded to 12.1. Now Skype works.