installing pulseaudio on non-GNOME install

Hi, I’d need to have PulseAudio running on a virtual machine host for the virtual sound cards of the guests to work. Do the instructions as to which packages to install listed in http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Pulseaudio still apply? The pages states up to 11.3 but I have not found a more recent source. If I understand it correctly it would be sufficient to install the required packages and enable PulseAudio through YaST > Sound > Other > PulseAudio configuration, am I correct? Thanks!

I do not understand what you mean with “a more recent source” because you did not tell which version of openSUSE you use, so it is difficult for us top decide how recent “more recent” in your case is.:stuck_out_tongue:

In any case, I use openSUSE 13.1 and did a KDE installation. Pulseaudio is installed and I am not aware of having it installed separately. So I must assume that it is installed by deafult. Is that not so in your case?

Again I omit to mention that particularly important information. Sorry. I’m on openSUSE 13.1. It’s an LXDE install (it’s used a KVM host so the DE is barely used) and this does not seem to come with a working pulseaudio install- QEMU complains it can’t talk to pulseaudio and YAST > Sound > Other > Configure Pulseaudio tells me it’s not installed. I’d rather not break my current install, don’t mind at all to do some experimention but just want to avoid messing things up by using outdated or incorrect information. Thanks!

I think you need to install these packages and their dependancies

pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-x11
pavucontrol

(might want to reboot now, probably required but i would).

if you see two mixers in the system tray, go to menu - System > LXDE control center then open Session Settings, and untick Gmixer from the Automatically started applications list.

Thanks. I installed those packages, on the bright side nothing seems broken except audio is not working anymore :slight_smile: there seems to be some configuration missing. Attempting to run pavucontrol gives

Fatal Error: Unable to connect to PulseAudio: OK

in a dialogbox and paprefs results in

** (paprefs:14115): WARNING **: Error connecting to DBus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(paprefs:14115): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Gnome::Conf::Error'
Aborted

so some more research is called for.

I don’t have a lot of time to look into this unfortunately. So unless this should be easily solved (judging by the amount of information found on the internet regarding issues with pulseaudio I’m not optimistic but perhaps I’m mistaken), if I were to install base GNOME (not the full DE pattern) would that install pulseaudio as well? Would I need to reinstall for that?

Did you check Yast and see if pulse is now set active in the sound configuration . Extra menu at bottom right

I enabled pulse audio on an LXDE install (32-bit) for openSUSE-12.3 and I found that I needed to reboot after installing the additional pulse audio apps, before pavucontrol would run properly.

YaST > Sound > Other > Pulseaudio configuration was checked and the system was rebooted before I posted back here, it doesn’t work. I’ll likely go ahead with reinstalling GNOME base pattern along LXDE to have everything configured well. I was hoping to avoid this but ah well. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I can’t see that solving your issue tbh, and yes there are plenty of forum posts about pulseaudio issues, but i’ve found openSUSE to be the best when it comes to a working pulseaudio setup.

For a while any other distro i tried, i had hissing noises and other issues, with openSUSE everything just worked out-of-the-box.

I suspect if you have the time, we will hit upon the solution. But I sense you don’t want to spend the time and thats fine.

I just checked my 32-bit openSUSE-13.1 with LXDE. pavucontrol was not initially running , but as soon as I removed the /home/oldcpu/.pulse directory, and then re-ran pavucontrol it ran fine.

Do you have an old legacy .pulse directory that could be causing a problem ?