Installing opensuse iso as guest under KVM

I am trying to install open suse under KVM using a local iso image.
When I create the new KVM guest and it begines to install, it goes no
further than:

Booting from DVD/CD…
4201MB Medium Detected

ISOLINUX 3.31 0x46frr4561c Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Perter Anvin
Loading…

I have to do a Force Off to kill the instance, after which I receive a pop-
up:

Error

A valid boot sector was not found.
The installation may have failed.

Not sure exactly which boot sector it cannot find. Seems to find the .iso
media just fine so I suspect it cannot locate the virtual disk. I do not
have it pointed at the default location under /var but rather my own
location.

I can see the virtual disk is created when the machine is active, but is
subsequently destroyed after the force off.

Just tried letting it create the disk image in the default location, but the
results are the same.

I’ve seen that one time … but I don’t remember where. I just remember that Fedora was involved, either as guest or as host.
Why don’t you try vm-create? It’s in the vmscripts package in my repo.

openSUSE 11.4 - vm installation guide

It should work with 12.1 host and guest … If not, you’ll tell me. :wink:

Maybe try a net install …

> Maybe try a net install …

LOL, just as easy to burn the iso and install from disk. ; )
Anywho, that’s what I ended up doing.

I’m having the same issue when restoring the image . The image was created with 12.2 and now the system is upgraded to 12.3 . I there any link with this.?

Although there may be two separate problems for the two problems described in this thread, need more info to help. I haven’t seen any problems (yet) creating a new VM using KVM in either 12.2 or 12.3, as subject to an issue I’ve found related to the disk location. There is a permissions problem I’ve found, in theory know how to address but haven’t yet verified. So, For anyone who is still actively asking about a problem in this thread (I notice the OP started this thread many months ago), - What method are you using to create your new VM? There are three methods… a. The “Create VM” using Start Button > System > Virtualization > Create Virtual Machines for Xen and KVM Can also be launched through YAST b. A different tool used when launched from VM Manager c. Command line at the console using qemu-kvm - If you are using a guide, which guide are you using? I recommend the official openSUSE docs which should be on your machine already or can be viewed at https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE/opensuse-kvm/ If you’re not using one of the automated wizards (I prefer the “a” option above), you need to be certain you have the basic pieces defined, best in the following order… - cpu - memory - empty virtual disk (or other suitable empty block device) - viirtual cdrom either defined properly or pre-mounted as a loop device If you’re “restoring an image” then you’ll need to provide detailed steps what you’re doing… There are many, many ways I can imagine “restoring an image” so I can’t guess what you might be doing right or wrong. TSU

Boy, that’s weird… All the formatting was removed when I posted. Let me try manually inserting some markup… TSU

Although there may be two separate problems for the two problems described in this thread, need more info to help. I haven’t seen any problems (yet) creating a new VM using KVM in either 12.2 or 12.3, as subject to an issue I’ve found related to the disk location. There is a permissions problem I’ve found, in theory know how to address but haven’t yet verified. So, For anyone who is still actively asking about a problem in this thread (I notice the OP started this thread many months ago),

• What method are you using to create your new VM? There are three methods…
    a. The “Create VM” using Start Button > System > Virtualization > Create Virtual Machines for Xen and KVM Can also be launched through YAST
    b. A different tool used when launched from VM Manager
    c. Command line at the console using qemu-kvm

• If you are using a guide, which guide are you using? I recommend the official openSUSE docs which should be on your machine already or can be viewed at
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE/opensuse-kvm/

If you’re not using one of the automated wizards (I prefer the “a” option above), you need to be certain you have the basic pieces defined, best in the following order…

• cpu
  • memory
  • empty virtual disk (or other suitable empty block device)
  • viirtual cdrom either defined properly or pre-mounted as a loop device

If you’re “restoring an image” then you’ll need to provide detailed steps what you’re doing… There are many, many ways I can imagine “restoring an image” so I can’t guess what you might be doing right or wrong.

TSU