Installing openSUSE-Edu Li-f-e via NETBOOT

Hello all.

I recently started a foundation where I collect used computer equipment for underprivileged students. Originally I chose to use Ubuntu’s Educational version, edubuntu, but, I think that I might change my mind. I just recently discovered OpenSuSE’s Educational port, openSUSE-Edu Li-f-e.

I am a Unix/Linux engineer and I am very familiar with SuSE, specifically SLES. I maintain about 500 SLES servers at work, so, if I can get openSUSE-Edu Li-f-e installed, I will most likely go with that distribution.

A number of machines that I am working with are older and only have CD drives and cannot boot USB, so I am trying to install via netboot.

My original thought was that I would download the ISO and mount it and share it out within my network, then netboot and point the machine to that ISO mount. However, I got errors saying no repository found. After taking a look at the image, I realized that no repository information is provided in the image. Other Linux distributions that I’ve worked with included the repository information, so I assumed that it would work with this distribution as well.

I decided to try to install from online OpenSuSE repositories. I pointed my install to:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/openSUSE_13.2/

but I still get “No repository found”. I see repository information in the sub-directories, so I would think that it would work, but apparently it does not.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Daryl

Hi
Your better off to do a net install from the default openSUSE 13.2, then add the education repository and install the pattern (ymp file). Else look at building your own via SUSE Studio…? Welcome – SUSE Studio

I have Li-f-e version installed on a computer here (but Leap 42.1, not 13.2). It’s a very nice selection. At one time, I had the 13.2 version installed, and that was pretty nice, too.

However, the Li-f-e edition are live DVDs. They don’t have repos. They have the live installer (basically, they copy the running live system to your disk drive with few options).

On one older computer here, I use PLOP boot manager to enable me to boot a USB.

This is a good option. I’ll look into this and ask if I have questions.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not familiar with Leap. What is the difference with Leap 42.1 and 13.2? I saw the ISO in the repository, but I only see 64bit. I need 32bit.

I have never heard of PLOP boot manger. That is an option as well. Does a person build a custom ROM with PLOP? How does it work?

Thank you.

Daryl

I think PLOP is a boot manager that allows you to boot a USB on machines where there is a USB but BIOS does not support boot from USB.

In Leap 42.1 they have decided 32 bit is obsolete and are not making 32 bit versions. 13.2 is last version that supports 32 bit and support should be about a year more for it. 13.1 also supports 32 bit and is designated Evergreen so support should run 2 more years, I think.

I’ve looked at PLOP, but I don’t understand how to use it. Do I install it on my primary machine and build a bootable USB device, or do I install it on the machine that I want to install the operating system on?

I have an older system that I want to install OpenSUSE Education on. I can’t install via DVD and I can’t install via USB because these systems will not boot USB. From the way this looks to me, I have to first have an OS laid down on the system, then install PLOP and then I can boot USB and install Education, is that correct?

Thank you.

Daryl

Sorry have no clue the Web site does not even describe what it does so pure guess on my part:O

There is no need for any boot helpers for any openSUSE iso you just do a binary copy to the USB device and it is bootable, But some older system even if they have USB may not be able to boot USB so I’m guessing that PLOP will allow a boot of a USB on machines that do not support a boot. But you sure can’t tell from the web site. LOL I’d also say you install it on the machine you want to boot a USB from. Maybe nrickert will enlighten us.

I haven’t updated mine for a while, so this might be out of date.

I installed it in Windows, where it adds an entry to the Windows boot manager. Select that boot entry, and then you get PLOP and can try to boot a USB.

I also “installed” in linux (just copied a file to “/boot”) and added an entry to the linux grub2 boot menu which runs that file (“linux16 filename” or something like that). Choose that entry from the grub menu, then I get the PLOP menu to boot from USB. My old system is rather finicky. The BIOS supposedly support USB2, but I have to boot the USB installer in USB1 mode for it to work. It switches to using USB2 mode part way through. At one time I had an older computer, where I had to use a USB1 device to boot with USB, so there was no switchover to USB2 speeds. But it still worked.

Li-f-e based on Leap can only run on machines supporting x86_64 architecture, if you have older PCs you may want to try installing x86 version of older releases.

To install Li-f-e from network see: openSUSE Lizards