Installing openSuse 11.3 on vServer

hi everyone,
I have a for me very hard to handle problem as I’m quite new to Linux.
I want to install openSUSE 11.3 on a virtual Server with nothing more than a ssh shell and root Rights.
Currently running is version 10.3 of OpenSUSE.
I tried updating via dist upgrade but at some point it stops with following Error:
We do not have enough disk space in /etc or /dev/zero
does not exist. Exit.
error: %post(pam-modules-11.1-5.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
I know that this is the Result of low RAM and/or swap Memory but in a virtual Server I can’t influence those.
So now I’m searching for another Method and would be grateful if you could provide me some help. Searching for days in google didn’t solve my Problem.

PS: The Reason Version 10.3 is in use, are the available preinstalled OSs so there is no higher Version available.

Thanx in advance.

Okay so I search deeper and I found this:
SDB:Remote installation - openSUSE
Is this something I could use to install OpenSuse 11.3?

I would like to test but I don’t understand these lines:
wget --output-document=vmlinuz.install http://<path to openSUSE>/boot/loader/linux
wget --output-document=initrd.install http://<path to openSUSE>/boot/loader/initrd

The <path to openSuse> Variable. How should I fill them . Do I need to have another Installation of openSUSE where I can get these files or can I get those from an ISO file?

Another possibility I looked into was upgrading with an Iso file and using that File as an Repository.
Could that lead me to an upgraded Version?

Another thing was the distribution Repository for Version 11.0 taken down in the last week?
I can’t seem to find it anymore. That would be quite annoying as 11.0 is the next higher version to 10.3.

Sadly I can’t use the Iso file with GRUB or LILO because I only have shell Access and I can’t enter commands on bootup.^^
I will try to search even deeper and report here while hoping that someone can help me.

11.0 is also not supported. OpenSuse only supports the last 3 releases. The release cycle is about 6 months at the moment. So current supported versions are 11.1, 11.2, 11.3 but 11.4 is due in a couple of months so support for 11.1 will soon be dropped.

yeah that’s what I thought.
Since you should only update to the next higher version of OpenSUSE, does that mean that I can’t upgrade my version anymore without a fresh install?
And if that’s the case how do I do it on a System with only shell Access?

Download a CD/DVD image burn it and install.

Ok you have a special situation because it is a virtual server.

Is this a Web server that is managed by some ISP? If so the question is why have they not already done this?

yeah I wondered too why they haven’t done this already and I asked them but no answer yet.
So like I said I have only shell Access no CD/DVD Drive to use

My guess is, you would need access to the “real” server to manage the VPS. I know some companies provide services for that, don’t know if yours does.

On 2010-10-04 12:36, Mentor11 wrote:
>
> yeah that’s what I thought.
> Since you should only update to the next higher version of OpenSUSE,
> does that mean that I can’t upgrade my version anymore without a fresh
> install?

The “zypper dup” method, or online upgrade, was never supported for 10.3. You would have to upgrade
first zypper and zypper libs, then the system.

But I would simply not do it. It will be a nightmare to upgrade it. Choose another virtual server
company that offers newer systems, or stick to 10.3. It doesn’t speak to well of them.

Notice in case of big problems, they would probably restore the system to what they have…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

That’s not a problem there really isn’t anything important on the Server. In fact I had to initialize the Server a few times.
I already tried to update zypper first etc. following this howTo:
Upgrading openSUSE 10.3 –> 11.0 in a running system., 24/06/08, Benjamin’s blog
And it worked I should have had the 11.0 Version.
The Problem was when I tried to upgrade to 11.1 telling me that there is not enough RAM and/or swap space.
But now that the 11.0 repository mentioned in the Article is gone I can’t even upgrade to 11.0.
I forgot to mention, I have some Access to the Server running the VPS with a Virtouzo Panel. Does that help perhaps?

I’m quite new to Linux.
I want to install openSUSE 11.3 on a virtual Server with nothing more than a ssh shell and root Rights.

Shut this system down and learn how to handle a Linux offline first. A server is not a toy, period.

In fact the System I’m trying to update is offline, I’m just recreating the Environment I had with the real Server. Except for virtouzo that would be something I still need to install offline.
I followed your advises in that other thread.
So now I have to learn how I would be able to to all that on an online server.

On 2010-10-05 13:06, Mentor11 wrote:

> But now that the 11.0 repository mentioned in the Article is gone I
> can’t even upgrade to 11.0.

But they are archived on other addresses. Look for “unmaintained” in our wiki.

> I forgot to mention, I have some Access to the Server running the VPS
> with a Virtouzo Panel. Does that help perhaps?

Dunno, I’m not experienced in that area.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_hosting_control_panels>

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Oh nice didn’t know the repository for 11.0 was archived.

I’ll try something after upgrading to 11.0 and report back here.

I found a mirror for the 11.0 repository and was able to update.
I am currently downloading the iso for version 11.1. Can I use that Iso as a Repository to upgrade to version 11.1 with this command
zypper ar -c -t yast2 “iso:/?iso=/<pathToIso>” “openSuSE 111”
?
Or do I have to configure something else to make it work?