Installing OpenSUSE 11.3 on old HP DL360 G4 - 2 issues - only has CD drive & driver for SmartArray

Hi all, any advise on how to get CD distro for local install on my HP DL360 G4?

Also and this has me completely at a stand still. How do I configure latested release of OpenSUSE to work with the HP Smart Array so that I can have my drives work with the included Hardware RAID card for 1 mirroring?

What model SmartArray is it? My HP ProlLiant ML350 G3 with HP SmartArray 641 works out of the box on openSUSE 11.3

On 01/04/2011 02:06 PM, lee cardona wrote:
>
> Hi all, any advise on how to get CD distro for local install on my HP
> DL360 G4?

There are 2 CD versions for installation: (1) The Live CD for Gnome or KDE, and
(2) the NET install. The former is ~700 MB, and the second is ~80 MB as it uses
the network to download the packages during the install. Although I have a DVD
RW drive, I have not used any DVDs since 11.2.

> Also and this has me completely at a stand still. How do I configure
> latested release of OpenSUSE to work with the HP Smart Array so that I
> can have my drives work with the included Hardware RAID card for 1
> mirroring?

I expect that is a PCI card. If you post are currently running another Linux,
please post the output of a ‘/sbin/lspci -nn’ command.

If you are running Windows, open the Device Manager, select the device, and
right click for Properties. Under the Details tab, you will see a line that
starts with PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_YYYY&SUSSYS… Please post XXXX and YYYY.

From the numbers, it is possible to see if there is a built-in driver in Linux
for that controller.

Thanks for the insight. Still having problems however.

Some addition facts:

1. The HP DL360 G4 has a SmartArray 6i and its firmware seems to be at v2.58. The SmartArray firmware is configured as 1 logical drive RAID 1+0 from the 2 physical 72G drives installed.
  2. I don’t have any OS on the server currently as this is a fresh install. I tried to run the suggested lspci -nn command from the install shell but it was not available.
  3. I tried to install using the KDE Live CD but that failed. Will try that again to see if I can get what the failure was but it went by to fast to notice just saw read text and then it was gone.
  4. I had more luck with the network install option. I downloaded it and burned the iso to CD and then booted from it. It all looked good. It seems the installer loads the cciss drivers and is able to see the drives a single logical drive. I get all the way to the partition screen in the GUI installer and then it dies when it tries to mount / and /home. I took the following image of the error.

Fail image 1: This is what pop’s up when it fails

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/5327563951_6561fed2d6_b.jpg
link here

Fail image 2: After clicking on the dialog button from previous screen I get this additional dialog box

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5328173830_3789386217_b.jpg
link here

Any ideas?

Ok seems I was able to resolve this hang up. For whatever reason the default setup in the installer is to have the disk devices referenced by Device ID. It seems since suse v10 this was changed from Device Name. I changed it to Device Name in the partition setup for fstab mounting and it get beyond this error i show above.

Now I get another error which is that the kernel seems to panic and remounts the files system as read-only which breaks the install as it tries to install rpms.

logging seems to point to the HP Smart Array 6i having an issue - so i might need a firmware update or deal with a bad disk controller. :frowning:

if anyone has any additional ideas - please pass them on.

thanks!

Hello,

i have an HP DL360 G4 and i want install Opensuse 11.3 on it.

The Problem is as follow. I use an DVD or the Network Install CD, but i can change the language and screen resolution on the first step at the setup. When i go to the next step the kernel load. After the load of the kernel, the HP DL360 G4 makes an restart.

How can i fix this problem or where is the problem located?

Reiner

It’s not likely you have a bad disk controller. I too tried when 12.1 first came out to install fresh onto a DL380 with a Smart Array 6i controller in a RAID-5 configuration. The installation process failed each time with a different error, generally referencing an inability to find the disk. I confirmed a working controller & disks by installing an older, different distro which went well, but was not what I wanted to be running.

There is an entry in bugzilla, but it isn’t terribly clear and the author says he corrected the problem with some parameters turning off ACPI. I didn’t get that to work because I found nowhere to enter said parameters.

Rick

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:56:03 +0000, drryan3 wrote:

> There is an entry in bugzilla, but it isn’t terribly clear and the
> author says he corrected the problem with some parameters turning off
> ACPI. I didn’t get that to work because I found nowhere to enter said
> parameters.

This is a fairly old thread (about a year old), so you might start a new
topic since you’re using 12.1 rather than 11.3 (which is out of support
now, or soon will be).

“noacpi” as a boot parameter disables ACPI.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C