Installing OpenSuse 11.3 32bit on old laptop

Heya,

I’ve decided to install OpenSuse 11.3 32 bit on my old laptop. It’s a Pentium Mobile @ 1.5ghz, with 1.5gb memory, and an ATI Radeon 7500Mobile with 32 mb video ram.

I don’t expect the actual install process to be a problem, as I’ve gone through that a few times on my new laptop. I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of with that old hardware. I remember when it first got Ubuntu it took a lot of work with the terminal/console to get the right driver for the videocard. I supposed thats an even bigger problem now that ATI don’t support that card anymore, to my knowledge.

Best regards,

Daqar

Shouldn’t be a problem. I have 11.3 running on an older celeron.

I always try a liveCD version first, It allows you to see what, if anything is not working properly, and gives you the chance to work out how to fix it before install, if a fix is needed.

Didn’t download a liveCD/DVD. Turns out it was a cake walk. Compiz with the cube was working flawlessly as soon as it started up. I put in 10 minutes of work and then it played MP3 files and had that ‘Elegant Theme’ for gnome I found on suse-art.org…I’m amazed at how easy that was.

Best regards,

Daqar

Try LXDE as opposed to Gnome or KDE. I like it!

Didn’t download a liveCD/DVD. Turns out it was a cake walk. Compiz with the cube was working flawlessly as soon as it started up. I put in 10 minutes of work and then it played MP3 files and had that ‘Elegant Theme’ for gnome I found on suse-art.org…I’m amazed at how easy that was.

Good to read, it’s nice when it works well easily!