Installing Open Suse 12.1 over fedora 16

Hi I’m a new member here and I’m a naive. I need help regarding installation of open suse 12. My computer config is Intel Duel Core 3Ghz, 2GB RAM, 1 TB HD. I’ve Windows7 and **Fedora 16 **installed as duel boot in my machine. However, I didnt like Fedora at all. Therefor I want to install Open Suse 12.1 over Fedora 16, keeping it as a duel boot with Windows7. I’ve gone through some tutorials but I am very confuse about creating partition setup. I dont want to format any of my current partition, rather want to install Open Suse over Fedora’s partition. I need your help. Please show me a way…

Why don’t you want to format partitions? You have to format your Fedora partition if you want to install openSUSE in this partition. Formating doesn’t mean changing the geometry of partitions (unlike deleting/creating/resizing). It just means changing its content (i.e put a new file system). “Creating partition setup” is the option you need. But you won’t “create” partitions, just select the one(s) you need, choose mount points ( you need at least / ), check format or not. You want to format the root partition (/). You might format /home or not (if you happen to have a separate one), depending on what you are doing and if you have data you want to preserve. There is nothing complicated about installing openSUSE over Fedora, or any Linux over another one. You can use the same partitions, but you have to reformat the root partition.

Like @please_try_again I guess you are a bit bewildered because of the words used. In fact, what most people call “formatting” isn’t realy formatting in the sense that a disk is formatted with the tracks and blocks (and checked for bad tracks in the process) that make it usable. Because of this missusage of the word “formatting” the original formatting is now often called “basic formatting”.

(I guess the problem was created by MS-DOS users, where formatting a floppy-disk means doing both the formating and the creation of a file system being done by one and the same program).

Maybe this page may help you in getting the different terms in place (but be not surprised when many people us words like “formatting” and “partitioning” for different things).: SDB:Basics of partitions, filesystems, mount points - openSUSE

On 2012-05-13 01:36, tanvsb wrote:
>
> Hi I’m a new member here and I’m a naive. I need help regarding
> installation of open suse 12. My computer config is Intel Duel Core
> 3Ghz, 2GB RAM, 1 TB HD. I’ve WINDOWS7 and *FEDORA 16 *installed as
> duel boot in my machine. However, I didnt like Fedora at all. Therefor I
> want to install OPEN SUSE 12.1 over Fedora 16, keeping it as a duel boot
> with Windows7. I’ve gone through some tutorials but I am very confuse
> about creating_partition_setup. I dont want to format any of my
> current partition, rather want to install Open Suse over Fedora’s
> partition. I need your help. Please show me a way…

Maybe you mean that you do not want to format your Windows partitions,
because if you want to install openSUSE over Fedora, you have to format the
Fedora partition - no way around that.

Maybe you can print your partition table and we tell you what to format.
“fdisk -l” in Linux would help, paste it here.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

You could start the installer and import the partitioning. The tool should find the partiotions and their mount points in Fedora, and propose to only format Fedora’s root partition.

Thanks… I understood the procedure… :slight_smile: