Installing on a 3dfx system

Hello everyone,

I downloaded OpenSUSE today hoping I could install it on my aging computer, a Pentium 3 1.3GHz, 512MB RAM and a 3dfx Voodoo 5500.

When booting into the live CD, I cannot get it to go to the installation. After the GRUB screen (Or whatever is used) to choose install, I just get a black screen.

Any idea? Is 3dfx not supported by OpenSUSE?

Hello everyone,

I downloaded OpenSUSE today hoping I could install it on my aging computer, a Pentium 3 1.3GHz, 512MB RAM and a 3dfx Voodoo 5500.

When booting into the live CD, I cannot get it to go to the installation. After the GRUB screen (Or whatever is used) to choose install, I just get a black screen.

Any idea? Is 3dfx not supported by OpenSUSE?

Links I found on this old card did not seem very promising. You could try the kernel load option nomodeset to see if you can get any video. Just type the nomodeset command in before pressing the enter key to select the openSUSE kernel to load.

Thank You,

Hi, earlier today I tried simply setting the graphics mode to “vesa” with I believe the F3 button and that allowed for a successful installation launch.

It is installing now from a USB 1.1 so it might take several weeks to complete installing rotfl!, next hurdle is to see whether or not it will boot into GNOME now. I do know there are 3dfx drivers out there, at least for other distros. I’ve successfully set up Enlightenment and GNOME with this card.

But the only related info I could find from OpenSUSE is https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=xserver-xorg-video-tdfx&project=home%3Athopiekar%3Apsb

But I don’t know if that is just a document or if that means the actual driver is available for OpenSUSE, perhaps YaST has it

I found an interesting link here, but it was over a year old:

[Phoronix] The 3dfx Linux Driver Has Hope & It’s Getting TTM](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODQxOQ)

Other than that, not much for anything recent, but you never know. Good luck and come back and tell us of your success should that occur to your liking.

Thank You,

i would not even think of installing suse on a machine like that
on a newer and more powerful i found opensuse11.2 to be unusable

p4 CPU Nvidia gforce2 mx400 and 1 gig ram

11.2 took 3 min to boot
and going from the desktop to the home folder Gnome took 20 sec . to open that folder
and just changing from one folder to the next took about 20 seconds

11.4 if it will install will not work well on an older p3 cpu.
CentOS 5.6 might do you better .
On the machine above ScientificLinuz6.1 runs fine ( except for the nvidia card - unsupported by new xorg)

Not sure what’s with your machine but on mine it’s perfectly useable.

Booting takes about 15 seconds after GRUB screen, about 30-40 seconds from pressing the power button and Firefox popping up.

Note this is with LXDE. GNOME was not really useable, and Xfce was still a bit slow. It’s not fast, no. But it doesn’t chug or really lag

As regarding the original question, 3dfx is supported out of the box. I didn’t need to seek out any drivers or configure anything (other than overriding the refresh rate in X but that’s more likely due to my monitor). It installed tdfx (3dfx’s Linux driver) automatically and is functioning great.

Not sure what’s with your machine but on mine it’s perfectly useable.

Booting takes about 15 seconds after GRUB screen, about 30-40 seconds from pressing the power button and Firefox popping up.

Note this is with LXDE. GNOME was not really useable, and Xfce was still a bit slow. It’s not fast, no. But it doesn’t chug or really lag

As regarding the original question, 3dfx is supported out of the box. I didn’t need to seek out any drivers or configure anything (other than overriding the refresh rate in X but that’s more likely due to my monitor). It installed tdfx (3dfx’s Linux driver) automatically and is functioning great.

potatomash, what has changed since your first post in this thread? Can you tell us of your fix or what you have done to make it work? Consider that others may also have the same graphics, even if it is old and might need your advice.

Thank You,

The only problem was getting to the installer on the DVD, which like I said in my second post was fixed by pressing F3 on the GRUB screen and selecting VESA mode before going ahead with launching the installer. After that there weren’t any issues and it automatically detected my 3dfx and used tdfx as the driver.

The only problem was getting to the installer on the DVD, which like I said in my second post was fixed by pressing F3 on the GRUB screen and selecting VESA mode before going ahead with launching the installer. After that there weren’t any issues and it automatically detected my 3dfx and used tdfx as the driver.

That is good news to hear of your success and I see now that in message three, you did mention that fact. So, the basic issue was with the Installer. Once you got past that point using the VESA setting (selected by F3), the normal kernel worked like a champ, installing the correct video driver. Perhaps someone else with the same issue will see your solution.

Thank You,