installing Nvidia driver for old legacy mx 440

With SUSE 11.1, I have been attempting to compile the driver module NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run
and have downloaded the kernel source files etc.and have run the package properly with init 3. The module does not compile and I get the message ‘/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h’ does not exist. I have checked the tar file for kernel version 2.6.27.7 as well as the kernel source files installed by Yast and although there are many *.h files in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/, the version.h file is not present. uname -r confirms I have the correct kernel source.

How can I install the nvidia module for my video card in SUSE 11.1? I had no problem with Suse 10 and 11.0

Hi
Have you installed the linux-kernel-headers and kernel-syms?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 1 day 8:14, 1 user, load average: 4.13, 4.09, 4.09
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.22

Anything wrong with nvidia-gfx-kmp-default from the NVIDIA repository?
(NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce4 GPUs)

Thanks for the tips. I foolishly thought that there was no more to do after I used YaST to install the source code. In the end I did not compile but used the Suse/Nvidia 1-click which worked perfectly. One slight problem - the boot loader was not reset for the newly changed kernel and the first boot did not have any xwindows. Once I selected the new kernel for the default boot the nvidia driver for my mx440 was working perfectly
;);):wink: