Installing new NVIDIA drivers after installing the hard way

Hi,
I installed the nvidia driver the hard way in 11.3 (works fine so far).
However, when the driver becomes available in some near future :slight_smile: to
install via the repositories, what can I do to switch to the repository
driver?

Do I have to uninstall the compiled one? If so, could somebody be kind
enough to explain the procedure?

Many thanks

-G-

Yes, you should uninstall the proprietary NVIDIA driver first. You should just be able to run:

sh NVIDIA*.run --uninstall

DoctrSuSE wrote:
> Yes, you should uninstall the proprietary NVIDIA driver first. You
> should just be able to run:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sh NVIDIA*.run --uninstall
> --------------------

That’s great. Thank you!
-G-

DoctrSuSE wrote:
> Yes, you should uninstall the proprietary NVIDIA driver first. You
> should just be able to run:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sh NVIDIA*.run --uninstall
> --------------------

The nvidia repository is up (!), so I uninstalled the driver that I had
before (the hard-way installed one) and installed the new one from the
console calling yast (working OK now).

However, do I have to remove the “nomodeset” that I set in the booting
options and/or the kernel KMS option that I had set before to allow me
install the hard way?

Thanks for any further insight,

-G-

I wrote:

> However, do I have to remove the “nomodeset” that I set in the booting
> options and/or the kernel KMS option that I had set before to allow me
> install the hard way?

Just for the record, the binary NVIDIA driver from the repository works fine
after removing the nomodeset boot option and reverting the kernel KMS option
the original setting that I had set for installing it the hard way.

-G-

-G- wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>> However, do I have to remove the “nomodeset” that I set in the booting
>> options and/or the kernel KMS option that I had set before to allow me
>> install the hard way?
>
> Just for the record, the binary NVIDIA driver from the repository works
> fine after removing the nomodeset boot option and reverting the kernel KMS
> option the original setting that I had set for installing it the hard way.

Second report of the same response here. In fact, I tried a bare install,
removed the nouvue driver, installed the proprietary Nvidia driver and
things went just fine with no dicking around. That makes 11.3 usable for
me so it looks like 11.1 may get retired here. 11.2 never did cut it on
this hardware.


Will Honea