Installing "Multimedia" on a fresh 13,2 working strictly "by the book"

I’m trying to install “Multimedia” on a fresh 13.2 installation, working strictly “by the book”.
I’ve read “Multimedia the easy way”, and “Concepts multimedia”, which both point to “openSUSE Community Multimedia Codecs”.
Since I use LXDE, I choose “GNOME codecs 1-click”
and where necessary choose the Packman packet. All goes well.

This procedure has now added Packman to my repositories. I opened YaST and searched for vlc, choosing the Packman 2.2.1 version.
When this and many other packets were installed, I rebooted as a user and opened VLC.

I choose the old song Canto_por_no_llorar.mp4 and received a message saying that VLC could not decode the formats “mpga”
or “h264”.

Clearly I’ve done something wrong, but the only issue I see is not installing VLC from Packman first.

My repositories are:

  │Priority     │Enabled│Autorefresh│Name                              │Service│URL                                                     │
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-Update-Non-Oss      │       │       │
  │ 99 (Default)│       │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-Update-Debug        │       │         │
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │Packman Repository                │       │ │
  │ 99 (Default)│       │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-Update-Debug-Non-Oss│       │ │
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │libdvdcss repository              │       │                    │
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-Non-Oss             │       ││
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │           │openSUSE 13.2 DVD local iso       │       │iso:///?iso=openSUSE-13.2-DVD-x86_64.iso&url=file:///mnt│
  │ 99 (Default)│       │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-Source              │       ││
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │nVidia Graphics Drivers           │       │               │
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-Update              │       │               │
  │ 99 (Default)│       │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-Debug               │       ││
  │ 99 (Default)│   x   │     x     │openSUSE-13.2-0                   │       ││

Does the Packman repository need a lower priority number (higher priority)?

Is there some way of repairing my VLC?
I tried re-installing the 1-click codecs, but that had no effect. Any suggestion would be very welcome.


Please see

No alteration to the priority is required

Thanks for the link to the “openSUSE 13.2 Multimedia Guide”.
I removed my Packman and libdvdcss repositories and then ran

zypper ar -f packman
zypper ar -f libdvdcss
zypper ref
zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 flash-player dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux vlcsmplayer totem-browser-plugin h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-codecs

Finally, I followed the instructions at to allow the vendor switch to Packman. This updated 39 packages and installed 5.

I then reopened VLC and I was able to view the video and listen to that sentimental mp4 song.

Thanks for your help. The “Packet Switcher” PDF is particularly helpful. Perhaps it could be made more prominent in the other “multimedia” pages on,
with some text explaining that

…the basic installation procedure introduces packages from repositories which do not allow codecs such as H264 to operate correctly.
This is then corrected by a procedure known as “Packet Switching” which replaces a package already loaded from one repository by an equivalent package from a preferred repository.


Instead of the package switcher you could have done

zypper dup --from packman

where “packman” is defined by the name you gave it when adding the repo with the “ar -f …” command.