Installing leap as a second linux. How to handle partitions?

I have been using antergos for a while and now I wanna try that fresh leap 42.2. I also want to keep current setup and don’t want to lose anything so I will not delete any partitions. I have dual boot with windows currently. I have “experience” with windows dual boot since I broke and fixed it couple of times. But this is the first time I’m trying with multiple linux distributions. So here are my questions about partitioning for another linux install:

• I will make a root partition part. I will not make another swap partition and use existing one. Are these correct?

• I want to use the same home partition for both distros. But I dont want the config files and such to get mixed. So can I create a user which I will only use with leap? Would this eliminate the need for seperate home partitions?

• I have a seperate boot partition with grub on it. Should I mount boot to this or not touch at all and let the grub configure stuff?

Is there anything I’m missing?

I see this is your first post here: Welcome!

Basically yes.Remind that when you create that openSUSE root partition before the installation, it might be that the installer can not find enough free (unpartitioned) space. It may then offer you a partitioning schema you definitely don’t want. Don’t panic. In any case, in your situation, you must not accept the partitioning offering of the installer, but change there (Expert or something like that) into using the partitions you want for what you want them. Of course do not “format” your /home (in any case make a good backup before you start). Swap is OK as it is.

Sounds a good idea. In that case Desktop configurations will not be mixed/updated.

Not only Grub, but also the kernel is in /boot. To avoid name clashes between the kernels of both systems (and maybe there is not enough space in /boot to have several kernels of both distros in there), my advice would be to either have the openSUSE /boot directory inside the root partition, or to create another separate /boot partition.

About Grub and which one to use, I think others might help you. Better wait their advice.

To me it looks as if you have thought this over rather complete. But bettr wait a day or so to let others (who maybe sleeping now ;)) add their thoughts.

it is not entirely clear if you boot MBR or EFI. If EFI there is a FAT format efi boot partition not to be confused with a Linux boot partition. If in doubt show us fdisk -l, In any case do not mix the boot methods all OS must use the same method or you will have problems.

Yes I’m new here hello to you sir!
I’m glad my idea for home partition sounds good. I kinda like to keep them together.
About boot. My boot partition is 512mb with 450mb empty space. My current systems kernel is 4.8.4-1-ARCH. I read that leap ships with 4.4lts kernel. I have no idea if there could be any problem having multiple kernels in boot. I thought the point of having different boot partition is to be able to store different kernels and stuff. But since I have no knowledge about this stuff I will take your word on that.
I would rather put boot into leaps root. But how would that effect my other setup? Also I’m kinda lost on how would booting work. Since there would be 2 partitions for boot. Do I need to install grub for both?
Thank you for answer!

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to add that I use MBR and all partitions are ext4 except swap.

DO NOT mix OS on a Linux boot partition use another partition or just leave /boot on root. Each distro tweaks their kernel a little differently. openSUSE by default may have up to 3 kernels installed at a given time

DO NOT use the same home directory ie use another user name. Mixing and using the same desktop can cause problem since the config files there may and probably are different versions. You can use the same home partition just different directories there. You can share data but that takes a good be of thought and prep and it can be done after all is working right any how/

Assuming DOS partitioning not GPT you will need an extended partition to hold things you can only have 4 primary partitions and it sound like you have those so if you don’t already have an extended then you have a problem and the partitioning will have to be re done

Thats what I thought for home partition. Using a seperate user so it creates a new directory and put all the things there. Wouldn’t that work?
I understand that I should not use existing boot partition. I will use the new root partition for boot.
Here is my drive just to make things clear.

Ok DOS partitioning and one big extended. nothing wrong with that.

For home a different user should be fine. but investigate the UID used openSUSE starts users with 1000 other Linux may start at other points. Directroy names use the user name but permissions use UID

Thank you very much for taking time to help! Have a nice day.