Installing Docker and Docker Compose on LEAP 15.2

I was following a tutorial and it said the Docker Compose package was called docker-compose but when I used YAST Software Manager I could only find python2-docker-compose and python3-docker-compose. If I install python3-docker-compose is that the proper Docker Compose package on LEAP 15.2? I really need to learn Docker and Kubernetes.

Any help is really appreciated.

The python3 package should be the right one. Python 2 is being phased out anyway.

A word of caution, though: if you want to learn, then skip docker-compose. Kubernetes has basically nothing in common with docker-compose. Do the usual docker stuff and deploy manually or via shell scripts.

Once you got the basics of containers, go right for kubernetes. Most people use minikube for local kubernetes. Personally, I prefer Rancher deployed to a single VM.

Thank you for the helpful answer. I’ve done what you suggested and ignored docker-compose completely. I had a look at minikube and it says it uses a VM. Does it create the VM itself or should I use KVM and QEMU first and then install Minikube? I heard SUSE bought Rancher from news on their website so that might be the best solution in the future I guess but I couldn’t find it in the official repos yet.

yes, run it in a virtual machine. There used to be prefab vm images with minikube but I cannot find them anymore. There are, however, bootstrap cloud images that can be used as base. Every linux distribution has those. For 15.2 see here

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Cloud:/Images:/Leap_15.2/images/

Use the Openstack ones in either qcow2 format for libvirtd/qemu/kvm or the vhd format with virtualbox. That saves you the pain of installing the OS manually. If you want to get real pro, you would install terraform-provider-libvirt and bring up the vm with terraform. But keep that for later. Remenber to use overlays or snapshots with the vm, so you can reset to a previous state.

You could, in fact, run minikube or rancher directly on your computer. But I would not recommend it as kubernetes creates tons of files and cleanup would be cumbersome.