Installer screens overlaying

When I boot into the latest OpenSUSE Tumbleweed installer the steps kind of overlay each other. I’ll show you what I mean.

https://i.imgur.com/P21IqTB.jpg

So we have a normal license screen. You click next and then …

https://i.imgur.com/vlK654v.jpg

You get the network configuration screen. As you can see the overlaying begins in the text up top. So then you click Edit…

https://i.imgur.com/UAadpit.jpg

It just goes bonkers. The same thing also happens when you click guided partitioning on the partitioning screen (The guided partitioner overlays the recommended partitioning).

Here is all my hardware info :

Laptop Model: HP Laptop 15-dw3xxx
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-1125G4 @ 2.00GHz
GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics
Memory: 8.00 GB

Can you please help me. Thanks in advance

Known issue on lowres screens. :frowning:

You might try appending your screen’s native, or a lower resolution, and DPI, to the bootloader’s linu line, e.g.:```
XVideo=1366x768,96

Where should I put the code?

When you boot the media, and the menu appears, strike the E key. That should produce a screen that resembles this:

menuentry 'Installation' --class opensuse --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
  set gfxpayload=keep
  echo 'Loading kernel ...'
  **linu**x /boot/x86_64/loader/linux splash=silent
  echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
  initrd /boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
}

Add a space and it at the end of the linu line, then proceed.

I tried adding that but no success

What do you mean by “that”? 1366x768? Is your screen’s native mode 1366x768?

Did you read the bug report I linked to?

Yup I read it and my screen resolution is 1920x1080

So what you used was XVideo=1920x1080,96?

I used XVideo=1920x1080,141

Try ,96 or ,120 or ,108 or ,72.

I tried all 3 dpi values you mentioned but it still didn’t work.

I also tried 108 as the dpi

I had the same problem. Adding nomodeset to the installer boot command line fixed it for me.

Gene

I tried to reproduce the problem with the TW20220704 NET installer and a 1920x1200 screen connected via DisplayPort, but it works as expected without any special cmdline parameters for graphics.

Yes the net installer works because it uses the nomodeset installation by default (I think). I am running a offline install which doesn’t use the nomodeset installer by default which overlays screens but with the nomodeset option the installer layout changes a bit but it works.
By the “nomodeset installer” I mean the installer with the sidebar indicating which step it’s on.

@mrmazda try the offline installer on your 1980x1080 monitor setup.

It doesn’t. Nomodeset is a troublehooting tool and workaround for failing graphics configuration and/or automagic.

I am running a offline install which doesn’t use the nomodeset installer by default which overlays screens but with the nomodeset option the installer layout changes a bit but it works.
By the “nomodeset installer” I mean the installer with the sidebar indicating which step it’s on.
Nomodeset can produce a different layout due to a resulting lowfi resolution. All my installations are NET. I don’t download and .iso or burn anything to disc or USB. Those low-reliability things were headaches for years before I learned I rarely need them. I download the installation linux and initrd to the target disk, and load them with Grub.

I tried again the 1920x1200 screen but with XVideo=1280x800,96. All went as expected. I tried again a 2560x1440 screen with XVideo=1280x720,108. Again, all went as expected. Next I tried with XVideo=1920x1080,145. Apparently the installer knows this would be a problem, and it was ignored. Screen mode used was 2560x1440, and DPI 96. Another try on 2560x1440 but with nomodeset instead of XVideo= produced 1024x768, which did not reproduce OP’s problem.

Did you try the offline install?

Now that I think about it offline installers are a waste of disk space (On the USB drive) but network installs are quicker to download, take up less space, and you get the latest installer.

Hmm then is it my GPU?

Tomorrow I’ll test with a different monitor

Wait now I noticed in XVideo you are specifying a lower screen resolution than the physical one. Am I supposed to do that too?