Installed OpenSuse 11 on an Older Computer

Hello there! I am an OpenSuse 11 newbie. I formally dual-booted Win-XP and Ubuntu with some mixed results.

I am currently operating the OpenSuse 11 in my HP Pavillion 754n computer. I have modified it slightly (the ram and video card) so it is not the original machine that I purchased. No major changes but just enough.

So far, so good. I have installed OpenSuse 11 utilizing the version of KDE that came right before 4. KDE 4 was either too jittery or I was to inexperianced to maximize it’s full capabilities. Either way, I’m happy so far. The system recognized my wi-fi card and that makes me real **** happy. It was eager to recognize my printer/scanner/copier (Brother MFC) and the digital camera printer I got from Kodak even. It did all that on the first day.

So yeah, I’m impressed. And I ain’t no expert at open source, not by a long shot. So congratulations folks! You did a good job that I am happy with so far. I don’t expect perfection but I am happy things work.

Now, the reason I am posting this is because I figured it would be wise of me to ask my “betters” what should be my next step? What updates and downloads should I attempt? In what order should I do these improvements and what should I avoid?

More importantly, I have a holy grail of sorts to pursue in OpenSuse. I have two webcams, one is a Hercules Dualpix and the other is a Logitech Quickcam Expresss. I was pleased to see that on starting up I noticed that in the start-up script, OpenSuse was already acknowledging that I have a Hercules Webcam, which suprised the hell out of me to put it mildly. Now how do I capitalize on that and make it work?

Hope I didn’t ask too much too soon and yes, even if the webcams never work, I’m having fun in Opensuse 11.

I’ll leave the answering to you folks, thanks ahead of time!

Welcome Kanuckeh

Some basic linux info for you to read:

Concepts - openSUSE

Have a look here for webcam support:

HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE

PS I know the Logitech Quickcam Express is supported as I have one of these.

Aaah… I was fooled! It wasn’t acknowledging my wireless card and I found this out when I thought, “hmmm… don’t need this ethernet chord anymore!” Well guess I learned otherwise…>:)

No matter, I’ll solve that problem soon enough. Just out of curiosity, what drivers did you download to get your Logitech webcam working?

I visited that link you suggested about webcams and when I tried to download the specially prepared drivers for Opensuse 11 I recieved the following message…
"An error occurred while initializing the software repository.
Details:
drivers:webcam:* or [1] (it’s either of these)Valid metadata not found at the specified URL(s)
History:
-Unknown error reading from Index of /repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.0
-SKIP request: User-requested skipping of a file.
-Download (curl) error for http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.0/repodata/repomd.xmf:
Error code:
Error message: Couldn’t resolve host’download.opensuse.org

Try again?*

When I select retry I get the following:

Cannot access installation media
(Medium 1)
Check whether the server is accessible

Then if I try to stick with it and try again, it fails and I get this message:

Download failed:
Download (curl) error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...ta/repomd.xmf:
Error code: Connection failed
Error message: Couldn’t resolve host ‘http://download.opensuse.org

After installation, it is best to use the repository manager to disable the installation media repo (eg openSUSE-DVD 11.0), otherwise you will need to unecessarily insert it everytime you use yast software manager.

Error code: Connection failed
Error message: Couldn’t resolve host ‘http://download.opensuse.org

With regards to the error above, do you have a valid internet connection working?

You can try some console based commands to install the necessary repo and driver (assuming you have openSUSE 11.0 installed). You’ll need to be root user first with ‘su’ command. Then do:

zypper ar Index of /repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.0 webcam

zypper ref

Then depending on your installed kernel (execute ‘uname -r’ to find out, you’ll need one of the following:

zypper in gspcav1-kmp-pae

zypper in gspcav1-kmp-default

That should take care of the logitech webcam.

This tells you it wants your install dvd.
Also check that your network is working correctly.

Cool! Thanks guys! The internet is working properly, just not the WiFi. I’m only on plug in DSL at the moment. As soon as I get home from the courthouse I’ll institute what you folks have suggested. Now the CD the messages refer to. That’s the second one isn’t it? Not the install CD?

How does one do the following:

a.) check the Opensuse 11.1 system for drivers (that I may have inadvertantly installed previously by mistake… :\ )

b.) and then uninstall the little beggars?

:expressionless:

If you know the package name, you can do something like

rpm -qa |grep name_of_package

For example:

linux:/ # rpm -qa |grep gspca
gspcav-kmp-pae-01.00.20_2.6.25.5_1.1-1.1

To delete this package:

rpm -e gspcav-kmp-pae

Be careful though…

Some general advice (which is not an answer to your specific question) :

Its important that you do not mix openSUSE-11.0 repositories with openSUSE-11.1. If using openSUSE-11.1, you should use 11.1 repositories.

I typically recommend new users stick with 4 repositories: OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Just those 4. No others. There is guidance here for adding those 4 for openSUSE-11.1: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community again, just those 4 (oss, non-oss, update and packman). That does not mean you can not add more than 4, but more than often there will be conflicts between repositories when additional repositories are added, and that causes new users (and also many average users) no end of problems. Hence IMHO its best to stick with those 4, and add others only when one’s knowledge is sufficient to fix the problems that will result when more than those 4 are added. If one does need to add a 5th , IMHO its best to add the 5th only briefly (for the install at hand) and remove it afterward.

I am not having any kind of success but I continue to learn and am focusing on learning Yast2 before I go on a wild binge of installing and downloading.

So far, none of the things I have set out to accomplish are being accomplished. :frowning: However, I am a patient lout and will continue to plod on. I have not even been at this new OS for a week so I can wait a week or so more before starting to act like a wild-man.

These are the things I wanted to accomplish with Opensuse 11.1

a.) Recognize and operate my Brother MFC Printer/Scanner/Copier

b.) Recognize one or both of my two installed webcams a Logitech Quickcam Express and a Hercules Dualpix HD

c.) To install Adobe Flash 10 for Linux and be able to run on any site that requires Adobe Flash (and a lot of them do…).

And if it can do all that, then it has a hope of not be replaced by a less-secure but easier to operate system within the next thirty days.

I am patient but not THAT patient… :sarcastic:

And I do sincerely thank all who have helped on this quest of mine. Really, I think we can get my goals accomplished, even if you have to explain things to me like I’m six. Which while my body isn’t. My mind is… no, seriously, it is.

You picked some things that may be difficult. Brother are notrious for providing poor Linux printer supoprt. Not all logitech web cams are supported (as Logitech do not provide much in the line of Linux support).

You can learn about the Linux support that is available here:
OpenPrinting database - Printer Listings

Select your printer from the database, and see what is stated. If you can not find your printer, then that is bad news wrt Linux compatibility. I typically use only HP printers, as HP has an active Linux support effort that is ongoing.

But its still possible your Brother printer will work. So just check the URL I provided above.

Check out this wiki wrt your webcam:
HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE

If you find that far too confusing, just post, and someone will walk you thru this to see if your webcam(s) are supported (and how to install the driver(s)).

Since your PC is an old PC, this should not be too difficult, unless this is a 64-bit old pc, and unless you installed a 64-bit version of openSUSE. 64-bit support for flash has never been easy to setup.

There is an rpm for 32-bit flash player, and its easy to install.

Webpin is an excellent site for searching for such applications: Webpin

for example, re: flash-10:
http://packages.opensuse-community.org/index.jsp?searchTerm=flash-player&distro=openSUSE_111
and right at the top is a one-click install for flash-player-10.

If you had setup oss, non-oss, update and packman like I recommended above, all you would need do is go on your openSUSE-11.1 PC, to YaST > Software > Software management, go to “filter” and change it to “search” and type in “flash-player” and then install it.

I was looking in Yast2 Control Center. Specifically on the software management tool and just to see what drivers I could download for the Logitech webcam. I saw two that were already check-marked and I don’t know whether that indicates that they were already installed or that’s just what Yast2 was recommending?

Here they are:

quickcam-kmp-default - Logitech USB QuickCam Kernel Module

Logitech USB QuickCam video driver with V4L support. Derived from qce-ga, linux V4L driver for the QuickCam Express and Dexxa QuickCam
qc-usb: Linux Driver for Quickcam USB cameras
The level of support is unspecified

…and

quickcam-kmp-pae - Logitech USB QuickCam Kernel Module

Logitech USB QuickCam video driver with V4L support. Derived from qce-ga, linux V4L driver for the QuickCam Express and Dexxa QuickCam
qc-usb: Linux Driver for Quickcam USB cameras
The level of support is unspecified

So, since I’m not an expert. I will just throw this out there and see what advice I should follow.

If they are checked, then these packages are installed already. Which desktop are you using - KDE or Gnome? If KDE, try starting kopete (Instant messanger) and see if the webcam is recognised ok (via configure menu).

Brother printers are usually supported ok. Have a look here:

Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions

Well, I am running KDE on this computer. I agree about the printer, I have had it running under Ubuntu so there is no reason that with a little effort and time I cannot get it working under Opensuse 11.1.

Good news on a different front today. My KWIFiManager does detect my personal wireless network. Now, how do I connect to that is another thing since I’ve run out of time and must get ready for work…:wink:

Currently, I’m still on plug-in-DSL now.

The problems I have set out for myself are not unconquerable ones. This system ALREADY recognizes my equipment but I have yet to bridge the “recognition” and the “application”.

I should be able to do this, I hope… :sarcastic:

Good work. Small steps… :slight_smile:

In order to make things simpler for you, I recommend starting a new thread for each problem. That way members are more likely to be able to help you. It gets to complicated chasing multiple problems in one thread.

Cool, no problem. Right before I went off to work the system noticed a problem and attempted a repair. The problem was such that an installation is probably wiser than a repair so when I reinstall later tonight / early-early this morning what version of KDE should I choose? I am interested in trying the KDE 4.1 for the Opensuse 11.1 that I am using.

KDE 4.x is likely to be more problematic, so if you decide to install that, I would also install KDE3 as well. You can choose which one to launch via login screen. Sort your hardware out first. The eye candy can wait…