installed nvidia-gfx-kmp-desktop

and now all I get is a black screen upon rebooting.

Hi !
First of all my video card is a eGeforce fx 5500.
I have installed nvidia-gfx-kmp-desktop for a 2nd time after reinstalling Open SUSE 12.2 again.
I am trying to get the twin viewer so I can use a monitor and a tv set at the same time.
Each time after rebooting I get a black screen on the monitor. I added sysv (init) to the main bootloader in the Open SUSE entry but it doesn’t work.
What am I doing wrong? It worked very well when I was running Open SUSE 11.4.
Thanks!

The package you should install is x11-video-nvidiaG01:

# zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG01

It should install the kernel module package (gfx-kmp) that matches your kernel.

You may need the legacy driver with that card. I believe the drive is 173.14.35

You got a black screen, because the piece of code which is supposed to disable KMS is part of x11-video-nvidiaG01/G02 postinstall scriplet. If you didn’t install this package, your initrd couldn’t be rebuilt without KMS.

Wow! Lots of info and so fast. I’ll see if I can boot into safe mode and do what you suggested. Otherwise I’ll just reinstall and follow your recommendations and let you know. Thanks!

An yes. I don’t know why I assumed that you got the right kernel module. Anyway the package you have to install is x11-video-nvidiaG01 (and not x11-video-nvidiaG02). This is the legacy driver.

Hi again!
I reinstalled OpenSUSE and then I followed your advices and “zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG01” which came with "173.14.35-17.1.x86_64.
Then I installed 14 new updates and when everything was done I rebooted and I got a Desktop Environment. The only thing is that everything is so, so, so slow. It’s unbelievable.
It takes me a long time to click on “Activities” not knowing if I should double-click or not or where exactly to position the pointer. Then if I choose the firefox icon from Windows and the few favourite icons on the left it also takes an eternity to open. Or if I choose Applications instead I get a list of icons after awhile that are set in a L shape (one column at the left and one or two rows at the top) until the icons take their natural place but again choosing one of them takes an eternity to open.
What could I do?

Disable Desktop effects:
Personal Settings -> Desktop Effects -> uncheck “Enable desktop effects at startup”

or : Alt+Shift+F12

Alt+Shift+F12 doesn’t seem to have any impact. I went into Activities->Applications->system settings->personal->and all I see are;background,brightness and lock,online accounts,and region and language.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Oh. You are using Gnome, not KDE. I don’t know why I thought you were using KDE. The Geforce fx 5500 doesn’t work with Gnome-shell. See this post: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/470324-opensuse-12-1-nvidia-96xx-gnome-3-rendering-issues.html#post2423010. I actually happen to have this gfx card on one machine. The best you can do is to use KDE or another desktop … or Ubuntu + Unity. I’m afraid gnome-shell is unlikely to ever work on such hardware.

Gnome is supposed to switch to fallback mode in such a case, but it does not - because 3D rendering is ‘working’. Only the Texture from Pixmap GL extension is not working - which makes everything moving so slow. Compiz can live with that. Thus Unity’s performance is acceptable … although I’m not so sure that it doesn’t switch to 2D, but it’s working at least

You can enforce fallback mode several ways. Since gnome-shell is unusable on this machine, I would just replace

Exec=gnome

with

Exec=gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback

in file /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop.

But I’m not sure gnome-fallback will be that much better. Don’t use Gnome at all on this machine! :frowning:

Thanks a lot!
I’ll try what you suggested or else I’ll download the KDE. At least now I know why I was having problems with so many distros that I have tried.

Yes indeed. This gfx card/driver combination never worked with gnome-shell under any distro.