installed 2nd drive but I don't see it

I just installed another hard drive but I am not sure if opensuse is seeing it. I looked in the system monitor but it doesn’t show the drive. the drive is fresh never been touched and when I boot into VIsta it shows the drive as E which is normal but in open suse I don’t think that it is seen at all how can I fix this or is there a command that should show the drive

Do you just want to use it with opensuse?
If so you can format it and create a mount point with yast partitioner.
Post again if your unsure about partitioning

well what I want to do is beable to install a few different distros on the drive

I noticed tha this new drive is already partitioned but I am not sure how to add different distros to it

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x88008800

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 142032 291371 1199568422+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdb2 142032 284064 1140868096 0 Empty
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdb3 142032 284064 1140868096 0 Empty
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdb4 142032 284064 1140868096 0 Empty
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

um how do I partition my second drive to use opensuse I went into the partition manager and I see the drive in there but I am not sure what top do

I met the same problem, the openSuSE can’t see my 2nd disk. It added after I installed the openSuSE, and has 2 partitions. I can use it in WindowsXP very well, but can see it in openSuSE at all even in the YaST-System-Partition!
There is my 1st SATA hard disk only.
My 1st hard disk is SATA, and the 2nd is IDE. The file system is NTFS.
Who can tell me why or how I use it in openSuSE?
Thanks for all!

Shimmey, post the output of (as root):

fdisk -l

Maybe you didn’t understand me well. Which I reinstalled is not a new hard disk, it is used in another PC before. There’re 2 partitions and data in it, so I can’t format or repartition it.
And I could use it in Windows XP very well, but can’t see it in Suse at all. How can I find it in my SuSE system? And how to mount it?
Thanks very much!

Check your BIOS and ensure that your ‘first drive to boot’ is the new drive.

Iwould do this is opensuse wasn’t being so buggy to me but Iam thinking of trying a few other distros the biggest reason Iwanted to try opensuse is because it will run with 4gb or ram and the fglrx driver unlike Ubuntu wouldn’t let me because of some bug that is in the OS (so I was told) but I am thinking that I will reinstall opensuse and hope that the bugs go away.

I’m not sure whether this was directed to my answer up here but posting what I asked would help.

your output is very strange! install gparted, from a listed repository, delete everything and partition again. gparted will also format and check partitions. the yast partitioner is limited and unconfortable: to skip errors, do a single operation at the time, no batch operations!

Umm… I think it’s strange, too!
When I executed the fdisk command in root, the terminal show me there are 2 disks in my computer. But after I changed to my own user ID, the terminal only show me 1 disk.
Sometimes there’re 2, I don’t know why.
Is there a way to let the system mount those 2 partitions automatically?