Installation trouble: Broken screen

I’m pretty new to linux and have never used openSUSE. When I go to install it I get the pretty Installation options. But then…TERROR. Every option I try ends me with a broken screen. Even When I try to use the text installers it only shows a portion of the screen. I’ve tried first with the live cd, which i ran the Md5 thingy through k3b. Three live cds later I figured it was my comp not liking the live way of doing things, so i burnt an installation dvd. This, I did not check but since I have the EXACT same problem I assume it’s right. Now assume i’m retarded and I know nothing about my computer and please help!!! Oh, and i’m running kubuntu right now.

Use the media check from the cd or dvd to check the integrity of the media.

So you tried all the boot options from F3 or
acpi=off
edd=off

or
press and hold Shift on the keyboard when booting the installation media. This starts the text-mode boot menu instead.

when I go to check media it gives me the same scrambled screen. I have tried the text installer. And it would seem to almost work but i can never see the bottom of the screen which holds most of the options. And I may have tried the no acpi and no edd options but i will try one more time just to be sure.

Nope did not work. And to clarify a few things, the text installer loaded fine until it opens yaST2. The interface works i just can’t see anything but the two language options and the very top of the license agreement. Also the kernel seems to load fine before all of that. :\

…well i guess i’ll just throw this away then. You know what they say, If it doesn’t work, throw it away and go back to windows… :’(

I would try some Live CDs first.

Do you mean livecds for OS 11.1 or other distros? if you mean for this one then i have. If you mean the latter than i also have. ubuntu, kubuntu and debian (with alot of tweaking) all work on this comp.

You mention tweaking. That info could give us a clue to your current issue.

The vesa option usually helps with screen/display issues. And regarding text mode, I think it should start yast, not yast2, the difference being that yast is not a UI and is navigated with the keyboard.

Incidentally, I have experienced different boot responses from my two cd/dvd drives, one sata the other pata/ide

hold on man messed up

Ok. sorry about the delay. While you were so kindly responding I was stressing out and had typed some kinda rude final thoughts. I’ve been sitting here awhile, lol. Anyways I’m pretty sure it said yast2, but it was text. I can scroll through the options with tab but i can’t see the bottom ones. (next, abort) Unfortunately i don’t remember what i did to make debian work but i think it was just a usb keyboard issue in the bios. I’m pretty sure i have an ide drive. it’s a 52x32 dvd combo. And i think vesa put me into text also but i will try again. And thanks for the patience

Ok so i ran the dvd installer in vesa and…it worked!!! however it had some problems installing some key files so right now i’m running a livecd and im about to try to install that way. I feel lie an idiot. So anyone who found this page by a search engine, USE VESA. also always make sure you run the md5checksum thingy.

Well don’t be too hard on yourself. The dvd is by far the best way to install. You can modify the default install during the setup. When the install summary is displayed you will see this page:
http://files.myopera.com/carl4926/albums/671478/16.png

click on software to go here
http://files.myopera.com/carl4926/albums/671478/20.png

then click Details to get so you can select search - as in this example I am adding gcc
http://files.myopera.com/carl4926/albums/671478/22.png

You didn’t say what KEY files you had a problem with, but adding at install may help.

K. so i fell asleep during the install. But it worked! The file that my dvd installer was having problems with was actually the boot file among others. But i didn’t check the file before i burnt it so thats what i get. Now I just have to figure out how to get limewire to install and i’m good.

I really can’t comment on Limewire. Never used it. But there are I would think, equivalent packages in the Packman repo. It might be Frostwire, let me check. Yes:

FrostWire is a gnutella client written in Java. It supports a number of advanced features like ultrapeers (like FastTrack’s supernodes), automatic download retries, freeloader punishment, etc.
FrostWire is a fork of the very popular LimeWire Gnutella client.
The purpose of FrostWire is to keep and maintain the freedoms that LimeWire LLC may be forced to withdraw.
LimeWire LLC has been considering an alternative path to keep them out of any legal situations they could be forced into. From what we understand, LimeWire LLC intends to implement a DRM filtering technology into their client. If LimeWire ever decides to implement this DRM technology, we will be prepared to remove it from our code and distribute the client under our own branding. However, we will continue supporting the LimeWire client development and do not wish to make fundamental or drastic changes to the LimeWire core itself. FrostWire will not break with LimeWire’s design philosophy. We will always do our best to maintain a strong relationship with the LimeWire Development Team.
FrostWire, although very much like LimeWire, will never offer a paid version or a subscription service for the download or use of the FrostWire application. FrostWire is a not-for-profit project. We will never bundle our software with any type of adware, spyware, malware or collect any personal or private data. FrostWire will always remain free as in both price and freedom.

You might want to run thru this too: for multi-media
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums