Installation Report: OpenSUSE 12.1 on Asus EEE PC 1015PX

Greetings,

This is just to report on the successful installation of openSUSE 12.1 on the Eee 1015PX that I recently bought. The hardware itself is an excellent piece of kit and unbeatable value for the money, by the way. Miles ahead of all that iSomething rubbish that people waste money on these days, plus with the Eee you can actually do stuff rather than being a passive consumer of (often DRM locked) content.

All I needed to do to get it up and running was download the 12.1 network installation image from http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.1/iso/openSUSE-12.1-NET-x86_64.iso
and put it on a USB stick of sufficient size, thusly:

sudo dd if=openSUSE-12.1-NET-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdX

(where /dev/sdX is the device name of your USB stick, you might want to make sure you get that right!)

Next step is to turn on the Eee, go to the BIOS settings by pressing F2, and turn off the BIOS boost option, as per the manual, before you attempt to upgrade.

Then you insert the USB stick with the 12.1 image on the Eee, and press the ESC key while booting to bring up the boot device menu, from which you select the USB device.

After this, it is a regular openSUSE installation.

The only post-installation adjustment I had to make in order to get everything that I need working was to install the firmware for the wireless adaptor. The way I did it was to clone the driver’s Git repo, as explained here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211 but there are other methods (you can do a search on these forums to learn more). In my case I did the following from a second computer, while the 1015 was connected to my LAN via an Ethernet cable:

otherpc$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git
otherpc$ scp -r linux-firmware.git 1015px:
otherpc$ ssh 1015px
1015px$ su
1015px# chown -R root.root linux-firmware/brcm
1015px# mv linux-firmware/brcm /lib/firmware/
1015px# reboot

Of course, there are plenty of other ways of doing this, the objective being that you have a set of firmware files for the wireless card under /lib/firmware/brcm

Other than this, the thing works beautifully. By the way, Debian 6 can also be installed in pretty much exactly the same way as described above and it works just as well. I have Debian on another Eee already but went along with OpenSUSE for this one (no particular reason why–I use a mixture of both distros more or less indistinctly).