Installation Questions

Question #1- I installed suse 12 and after installing all the upgrades, I was locked out. Only root could login. So, I want to do a NEW INSTALL that will have automatic login without user name and password, and NO LOCKOUT. Is this possible in Suse?

Question #2- I don’t want a desktop, just the command line. I’ll choose a window manager and applications of my choice. Is this possible with suse?

Thanks for any help.

1. there is no version 12 current version is 12.3 13.1 is about to release

2. it is openSUSE not SUSE

3. If you don’t want a GUI don’t install one there is an option at install if installing from the full DVD not on a live DVD

4. you can chose the apps you want at install, but best to just accept the default apps you can remove or add later

5. names and passwords are case sensitive in fact just about everything is case sensitive in Linux. So you need to be sure how you type passwords. You will need a root password in any case. By default you get auto login. If you are totally locked ie can’t do anything it is most likely a video driver issue so what video chip.card? Did you try booting into safe mode. Select advanced at the boot menu

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 02:06:02 +0000, Qx24ty wrote:

> Question #1- I installed suse 12 and after installing all the upgrades,
> I was locked out. Only root could login. So, I want to do a NEW INSTALL
> that will have automatic login without user name and password, and NO
> LOCKOUT. Is this possible in Suse?

Of course. Not having a non-root user would be kinda pointless.

Be specific about the version that you are using and specific about the
error messages you receive, and we should be able to help you sort the
issue out.

> Question #2- I don’t want a desktop, just the command line. I’ll choose
> a window manager and applications of my choice. Is this possible with
> suse?

Yes, there is an option in the installer to install text-only.

There also is IIRC (it’s been a while since I installed) a “minimal X
server” installation that includes X and twm as a window manager (since
you have to have a window manager for X to be useful).

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Thanks for the replies, and sorry I wasn’t more explicit.

Yes, it’s Open Suse 12.3. About 10 years ago, SUSE was my first venture into Linux. My question #2 is answered. I didn’t pay that much attention thru the install, and didn’t notice an option to create a minimal system.

As to being “locked out:” I had installed with the xfce desktop and the problem occurred when I installed the updates that were ready. After doing them, I could not log in as user, only as root. I tried to delete the user and make a new one with no luck. Google showed me quite a few similar problems with Open Suse, but no solution. Exactly what I’m looking for is to have a user, of course, but to have automatic user login without having to insert user name and password. We have 4 computers running Debian Squeeze, and they all boot up this way.

I haven’t any idea why the problem with user login occured, and hope someone might shed some light on the matter.

During install you can select or not auto login
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10573557/13.1_install/12.png

This can be changed post install too in the expert options
SUSE Paste

I think where were problems when installing the updates during installation.
Try to install normally first, and only install the online updates when the system is up and running.

Btw, Auto-login should be enabled by default.