Installation of Synology rpm fails

In order to get my NAS server synchronisation working properly with my laptop client it is necessary to install a proprietary rpm package from the NAS server supplier, Synology.

The installation of the package fails and Synology is trying to help me identify the root cause of the issue. Which log files will be helpful to them?

Cheers

Harvey

how are you installing that rpm, I don’t think there is an rpm error log file but you can make one.
what’s the output from

zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm

if you want you can redirect the output from zypper to a text file makeing a log by using stdout redirection with >

zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm > install.log

Thank you. That was all I needed! In fact, the /var/log/yast2.log had previously contained similar log information.

Cheers

Here is the log of the installation…will such a problem be soluble by Synology?

Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  synology-cloud-station 

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 83.4 MiB. Already cached: 0 B  After the operation, additional 154.2 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): Retrieving package synology-cloud-station-3.2-3487.x86_64 (1/1),  83.4 MiB (154.2 MiB unpacked)
synology-cloud-station-3.2-3487.x86_64.rpm:
    Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 86a998db: NOKEY
    V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 86a998db: NOKEY

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): 

On 10/21/2015 08:06 AM, hnimmo wrote:
>
> I_A;2733037 Wrote:
>> how are you installing that rpm, I don’t think there is an rpm error log
>> file but you can make one.
>> what’s the output from
>>>
> Code:
> --------------------
> > > zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm
> --------------------
>>>
>> if you want you can redirect the output from zypper to a text file
>> makeing a log by using stdout redirection with >
>>>
> Code:
> --------------------
> > > zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm > install.log
> --------------------
>>>
>
> Here is the log of the installation…will such a problem be soluble by
> Synology?
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> Loading repository data…
> Reading installed packages…
> Resolving package dependencies…
>
> The following NEW package is going to be installed:
> synology-cloud-station
>
> 1 new package to install.
> Overall download size: 83.4 MiB. Already cached: 0 B After the operation, additional 154.2 MiB will be used.
> Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): Retrieving package synology-cloud-station-3.2-3487.x86_64 (1/1), 83.4 MiB (154.2 MiB unpacked)
> synology-cloud-station-3.2-3487.x86_64.rpm:
> Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 86a998db: NOKEY
> V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 86a998db: NOKEY
>
> Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a):
>
> --------------------
>
>

You could the the i (ignore) option since I believe the error is because
there is no sighing key.


Ken
linux since 1994
S.U.s.E./openSUSE since 1996

Is that safe?

it depends how much do you trust the rpm source.
You could/should ask them to provide you the key and then import it with rpm

sudo rpm --import signing_key_from_Synology.pgp

they should have a pgp key and it is best practice to use digital signatures for production rpm’s, if that was your home machine I’d say ignore the warning but if it’s a production one get the key.

A quick google search revealed their pgp key
https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/security/pgp_key
unfortunately they don’t keep the key as a separate downloadable file, you will have to make a new text file called
synology_pgp.key copy and paste the PGP key block to that file, then import it with rpm

sudo rpm --import synology_pgp.key

edit
I’m not sure if they use that key for signing their rpm files or only for encrypted email’s, it’s best to ask them.

a 2nd edit
@kensch are you saying the rpm is not signed or that the signing key is not found? (as I don’t have that rpm or need it)
If the rpm is not signed importing the above key will accomplish nothing they should really sign their files.

Unfortunately, this key was not recognised. So I imported the NAS cloud client, ignoring the key request, as suggested. It worked, it seems.:\