installation of opensuse11.3 damaged windows partitions and now not booting up

While installation of openSUSE on machine already having winXP and Ubuntu,:’(
I chose “Edit partition setup”,
I also chose GRUB: change locaiton to “MBR” enabled
installation summary was something like this, shrinking sda1 to 13.02 and sda5 to 12.3 Gb, swap partition to sda3 (old linux), root partition to sda6(old linux),
then began installation, and after sometime, while shrinking done with sda5, when started with sda1, it showed the following error-
Failure occured during following action:
Shrinking partition /dev/sda1 to 13.03 GB (progress bar might not move)
System error code was: -3027

Now, currenly, i am not able to have my winXp back, during booting it shows:
error: no such partition
grub rescue>_

Shrinking a NTFS partition is always dangerous, particularly under Linux, where NTFS is not a native filesystem. That’s a bad news. Grub in MBR is not the problem. It probably hasn’t been installed and even if it were, that would not be a problem. But I’m afraid your Windows partition is in a bad shape now. If you had told us that you intended to resize your Windows partition, I would have advised to defragment it first and do it under Windows.

I did not select to shrink the windows partitions, installation automatically took it for shrinking, there was no option to unselect the shrinking of windows partitions, now that when i booted my system with the usb-stick its booting but only the live opensuse can be run, the windows is still not coming, through mounting the windows partitions on linux they seem to be okay, I guess grub or the boot loader is not finding any OS , can we fix the boot loader and bring the winXp back in normal state, and then we can install openSUSE…what do you suggest on that, sir…

Oh shhhhhhhhhhhitttt !
It should have been “Create” not “Edit”. Usually I always add “This is the third option, the last option at the bottom”, as I never remember if it’s “Edit” or “Create”. That was very stupid. Well … It wasn’t my day and it wasn’t your day. “Edit partition setup” is something I would never recommand, if it does what I suspect. Now I understand why it was trying to shrink your partition… It is exactly the contrary of what I meant. However, it is the second choice and it shouldn’t normally have failed. I would assume that many users would prefer this option.

Well … what can we do? Did you say you can mount your Windows partition? I’m surprised that this partition is still in good shape but it’s a very good news. Could you post the output of the following command:
fdisk -l
so that we could see what partitions we are dealing with.

here is the shortened result of fdisk -l :
Before Installaion :

Disk /dev/sda : 40.0 GB Disk Identifier : 0xfcb7fcb7
Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1958 15727603+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 1959 4866 23354318+ 7 W95 Ext’d(LBA)
/dev/sda5 1959 3924 15791863+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb : 4022 MB Disk Identifier : 0x689a677d
/dev/sdb1 * 1 2621 2683904 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 2622 3835 1243136 83 Linux

/dev/sdb1p1 * 1 2621 2683904 83 Linux
/dev/sdb1p2 2622 3835 1243136 83 Linux

After Installaion Failure :

the following details got changed :-

/dev/sda5 1959 3544 12731512 7 HPFS/NTFS

I am having the following , when booting my system…
error : no such partition
grub rescue>_

Can you please post the full output, not a shortened result of **fdisk -l **?
Where did you get the result before installation? Did you previously write down this output somewhere?
Are you able to mount both Windows partitions sda1 and sda5?

If your Ubuntu partition is gone and you had Grub in MBR (which is the default for Ubuntu), it’s normal that the bootloader cannot find the menu. In my opinion, the Grub prompt you see is still Ubuntu’s Grub. If your Windows partitions are OK, you might still be able to boot Windows by typing the following in the Grub shell :

grub rescue>_ root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
boot

Be aware that if it where the Grub shipped with openSUSE, you would have to type (hd0,0) instead of (hd0,1). But I believe it is still Ubuntu’s Grub.

I do not garantee that it will start Windows however and if it does, Windows will probably try to repare its partitions … what I guess we could let it do. If you’re able to start Windows and the Windows side is ok, then you can use the Windows disk manager to prepare partitions for openSUSE. But before doing any resizing on Windows partitions, you should imperatively defragment them. Actually you should make sure they are OK and defragment them anyway.

If the Windows boosector (first sector of sda1) is OK, then after a successfull openSUSE installation, you should be able to boot Windows, whether you install Grub in MBR or not. If you don’t install it in MBR, openSUSE will write a generic boot code there instead and install Grub in the extended partition and that would be sufficient to boot Windows from Grub menu.

Got winXp back by putting winXp CD and updating the MBR (I don’t know how it got resolved), the C drive (sda1) was in a little bad shape, after booting windows, it started reparing the damaged protion of C drive, I guess now no grub is there.
Now what do you suggest, should I go ahead with installation of openSUSE, by selecting “Create partition setup” or “Edit partition setup” ???
In my earlier openSUSE installation, such problem never arose, however there i never did much selection, whatever openSUSE installation summary showed up, i continued with it…
So point is , is there no option to prevent openSUSE to select “shrinking Partition” by itself ???
what is meant by error code: -3027 ??

and Yes, I did have the result of fdisk -l before installation , it has become my standard practice of whenever installing any linux distro, i take the list of current hard disk mappings.

The Windows CD wrote a generic bootcode to the MBR (and overwrote Grub). The Generic bootcode pass control to the bootcode in the active partition. In your case, this is the Windows partition. So Windows is booted.

You should first defragment your Windows partitions - although we’re not going to shrink them but anyway …

When it comes to partitionate during openSUSE setup, they are 3 options. Now you know what the second option is doing. The first option is the one you used in the past in other openSUE installations. The 3rd option is the one which let you control everything. It should have been ‘Create partition setup’, I guess. But I’m absolutely sure that it is the last option.

I cannot say much about he first and the second option, as I never use them. If you trust the first one … go on with that one! I don’t know if it’s going to shrink partitions. It’s going to optimize things the way it believes to be good for you.

The 3rd option is safe, because it only does what you tell him to do. I never ‘create’ or ‘resize’ partitions here. I just pick existing partitions, chose a filesystem an mount point and check ‘format’ (except for partiitions I don’t want to format).

I don’t know.

and Yes, I did have the result of fdisk -l before installation , it has become my standard practice of whenever installing any linux distro, i take the list of current hard disk mappings.

That’s wise.

So, do you have your partitions ready for Linux? Do you have a swap partition? a / partition? a /home parition? Any other partition? Do the partitions have the right size or do you want to resize them? When you know that, create/modify partitions with PartedMagic or within Windows. I do use PartedMagic for that purpose. In PartedMagic, you format the partitions in ext3 or etx4. So when you reboot, run openSUSE setup, you cannot be wrong, you just select the Linux partitions.
If you don’t want to think about that, chose the fisrt option (again, I don’t use it).

I would install Grub in the MBR AND in the Linux / partition if its a primary or in the extended partition if it’s a logical. These are all options you can choose by checking/unchecking them in the Boot options … or Advanced options or somethink like that. If you install Grub in the extended partition, set the booflag on this partition.