Installation of Multimedia codecs based on Country

quote:

"Currently, in openSUSE (and in almost all other Linux distributions) multimedia codecs are not shipped along with the DVD, because:

• The software is proprietary software, it does not conform to the Open Source definition.
* The  software is providing functionality which is patented and the patent  holder is preventing distribution of the software
* The software  violates laws concerning software distribution in jurisdictions where  the companies behind the distribution conduct business. 

However, Legal restrictions differs across countries for different multimedia formats. There are places where there are no legal restrictions on some formats.

We can run a server/service on such a country where there are no legal restrictions multimedia codecs (or on international waters ?) which when given a Country name, should respond with the List of allowed multimedia codecs for that country (and also the binaries)."

Rest here: Rants & Rambles: Installation of Multimedia codecs based on Country](http://psankar.blogspot.com/2010/01/installation-of-multimedia-codecs-based.html)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:06:03 +0000, ra100 wrote:

> quote:
>
> “Currently, in openSUSE (and in almost all other Linux distributions)
> multimedia codecs are not shipped along with the DVD, because:
>
> - * The software is proprietary software, it does not conform to the
> Open Source definition.
> * The software is providing functionality which is patented and the
> patent holder is preventing distribution of the software * The software
> violates laws concerning software distribution in jurisdictions where
> the companies behind the distribution conduct business.
> -
>
> However, Legal restrictions differs across countries for different
> multimedia formats. There are places where there are no legal
> restrictions on some formats.
>
> We can run a server/service on such a country where there are no legal
> restrictions multimedia codecs (or on international waters ?) which
> when given a Country name, should respond with the List of allowed
> multimedia codecs for that country (and also the binaries).”
>
> Rest here: ‘Rants & Rambles: Installation of Multimedia codecs based on
> Country’ (http://tinyurl.com/yawa84t)’ ’ (http://tinyurl.com/yawa84t)

Thread moving to soapbox because this has nothing to do with installation/
booting or login and isn’t a request for assistance.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

My thoughts here are that this already is somewhat done through Packman or other repos not hosted by the openSUSE project; there is a differentiator here in that there’s an attempt to restrict access based on the user’s location, but what would be the draw for users who might otherwise use Packman or other sources where such restrictions are not in place?

Not that I’m advocating for violating the codec owners’ IP rights, but just wondering how effective such a system would be given the ease with which users can install codecs that may have licensing restrictions in their locale.

We have more than enough repositories - infact we have WAY TOO many repositories as it is. What we need is streamlining the installation and not adding yet another repo.

Come to think of it, this would be an enormous operation. The system would need to be aware of any legal changes in any country in the world, and adjust repo content accordingly.

That gets my vote, and thats before considering OBS repos. It’s becoming a lucky (or not) dip. :\

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:56:01 +0000, Chrysantine wrote:

> We have more than enough repositories - infact we have WAY TOO many
> repositories as it is. What we need is streamlining the installation and
> not adding yet another repo.

I would tend to agree with that sentiment as well - more repos nearly
always leads to more conflicts. As I think about this more, it seems to
me that those who want to be respectful of the IP issues involved tend to
pay for what they need anyways - for example, buying a distro that has
paid for the rights to use the licensed technology, or using something
where a license fee has been paid already (something like Fluendo).

Adding additional complexity usually isn’t a way to solve problems. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:06:02 +0000, Knurpht wrote:

> hendersj;2141455 Wrote:
>> Not that I’m advocating for violating the codec owners’ IP rights, but
>> just wondering how effective such a system would be given the ease with
>> which users can install codecs that may have licensing restrictions in
>> their locale.
>
> Come to think of it, this would be an enormous operation. The system
> would need to be aware of any legal changes in any country in the world,
> and adjust repo content accordingly.

Very true.

Jim

Jim Henderson

I guess I’m the only one who disagrees here. What’s wrong with 4+1? That’s all it takes for the initial installation, and additional repos are manageable as long as you have specific packages to keep up. Problems usually arise from new users not realizing that its not necessary, and even adverse, to keep the extra repos from one-click installs and similar.

Are we now discussing @ra100’s proposal, or the case of the increasing number of repositories?

Re ra100’s proposal. I simply do not see how we can find the volunteers that:
. will check and follow day to day the laws of every different country;
. will dive into the politics to decide if a body that makes laws is a recocnised government (recocnised by whome) of a recocnised country;
. to check all juridical consequenses of the outcome of processes until high courts about how to interprete of details of these laws;
. and to check wher the downloader is at the moment of dowloading and when at an airport, if he ,may want to travel the next moment to a different jurisdiction;
. …

May be ra100 will start such an initiative, I won’t.

BTW, the fact that my IP address can (and is) traced as being indside a specific country is worrying me enough allready.

If you have looked at the buildservice repositories, then you know that there are literally hundreds of repositories. We’re not talking 4+1 here. The others are quite right. We have Packman, which more than takes care of this.

To design a system where it would detect your ip (GeoIP) to determine your country and then keep current on the countries laws regarding multimedia licensing would not be a small under taking. To further complicate things, IP addresses can be spoofed, masked, or run through other severs in which to mask them. There is, at this point, no sure fire way for openSUSE to provide the multimedia codecs for the downloaded versions, with out risking legal repercussions.

Each repository means additional time to refresh them, possibility of server / connection issues, dependency-conflict problems, mirrors might not be up to date …

What we need is vastly less repositories - ideal situation would be where oss was 1 repo, update+kde+gnome were one and 1 would contain non-compliant stuff.

That would be manageable.

Jonathan R wrote:
> If you have looked at the buildservice repositories, then you know that
> there are literally hundreds of repositories. We’re not talking 4+1
> here.

i think the ‘chief’ was thinking/posting about an individual machines
list of (say) 4+1 repos enabled…rather the entire constellation of
hundreds available (and not linked to nor enabled)…

palladium

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:26:02 +0000, Chrysantine wrote:

> That would be manageable.

Agreed, I like your thinking here.

Jim

Jim Henderson

That’s a good idea. What about the OBS, though? Would these repos be moved to the OSS? There would be some painful refresh times. Would debug and source be scratched?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 01:26:01 +0000, chief sealth wrote:

> Chrysantine;2141808 Wrote:
>> Each repository means additional time to refresh them, possibility of
>> server / connection issues, dependency-conflict problems, mirrors might
>> not be up to date …
>>
>> What we need is vastly less repositories - ideal situation would be
>> where oss was 1 repo, update+kde+gnome were one and 1 would contain
>> non-compliant stuff.
>>
>> That would be manageable.
>
> That’s a good idea. What about the OBS, though? Would these repos be
> moved to the OSS? There would be some painful refresh times. Would debug
> and source be scratched?

I would think OBS repos would stay as is, and used with the caveat that’s
currently employed, which would be “use at your own risk”.

Jim

Jim Henderson