Installation of Firefox.

Hi guys… I’m new.

Firefox informed me that I should get the latest version. I naively listened to that voice, and was taken to a download screen. I downloaded it.

I was hoping for a self-installer, because I’m used to windows. It opened in KPackageKit, or something named similar. I extracted it to my documents, because frankly, I have no idea where to extract it to. Anywhere’s I’ve looked says that most software comes as a package, which you can search for and install in YaST. I searched for “firefox”, and nothing new came up.

Could someone give me a guide on how to extract things to the right place/install them correctly with YaST? Thanks

On 08/19/2011 05:26 PM, hortator wrote:
>
> Hi guys… I’m new.
>
> Firefox informed me that I should get the latest version. I naively
> listened to that voice, and was taken to a download screen. I downloaded
> it.
>
> I was hoping for a self-installer, because I’m used to windows. It
> opened in KPackageKit, or something named similar. I extracted it to my
> documents, because frankly, I have no idea where to extract it to.
> Anywhere’s I’ve looked says that most software comes as a package, which
> you can search for and install in YaST. I searched for “firefox”, and
> nothing new came up.
>
> Could someone give me a guide on how to extract things to the right
> place/install them correctly with YaST? Thanks
>
>

http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/mozilla/openSUSE_11.4/MozillaFirefox.ymp?base=openSUSE%3A11.4&query=firefox

This is the one click install. Should also import the repository.

Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using LXDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
http://mzl.la/o4n9Yw

hortator Hi guys… I’m new.

Firefox informed me that I should get the latest version. I naively listened to that voice, and was taken to a download screen. I downloaded it.

I was hoping for a self-installer, because I’m used to windows. It opened in KPackageKit, or something named similar. I extracted it to my documents, because frankly, I have no idea where to extract it to. Anywhere’s I’ve looked says that most software comes as a package, which you can search for and install in YaST. I searched for “firefox”, and nothing new came up.

Could someone give me a guide on how to extract things to the right place/install them correctly with YaST? Thanks

hortator, I am not a big fan of using the 1-Click stuff. I did not see you mention the openSUSE version you are using, but you can add in the mozilla repository such as the following for openSUSE 11.4

"http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.4/"

Do not include the quotes, copy the link above and then go to YaST (Enter Root User Password) / Software / Software Repositories and select to add in a URL (which is what the above link is)

Next, you need to install the latest version of Firefox so open YaST / Software / Software Management and search on Firefox. You should now have an option to upgrade Firefox to 6. Look at the Versions tab and select the version 6 from Mozilla. Make sure to use either the 32 or 64 bit version only, that matches your openSUSE version. Also, to upgrade everything there, you can follow this advice:

So, I normally suggest you start YaST / Software / Software Management (You must enter your password to start YaST).

Then, in Software Management I do a:

1. Options / Allow Vendor Change (Place an X there)
  2. Package / All Packages / Update if Newer Version Available (Agree if there are several Packages to update)
  3. You will then be presented with your choices to remove the conflict. I most likely would remove the file dbus-1-devel.i586 or change its vendor, but I don’t know what else this might cause or why your have this problem.

I normally make the following suggestions to all that have such problems:

To avoid package problems, the most important thing to do is to: NEVER ignore a dependency, even if YaST/zypper/updater gives you such an option! In general, never switch to an >inferior< architecture and the solution is most often to just switch Vendor to the >Packman< repository. So changing the vendor is OK, but >ignoring< dependencies is never a very good idea!

Thank You,