Installation of 12.1 on HP Pavillion computer

First, I disabled the WIN boot manager and set to legacy boot with CD as first install device. SuSE boots ok with the message, kernel is loading. At completion of the kernel load, there is a flash of the SuSE splash screen and the screen goes black. There is still some activity of the CD and then nothing.

I have tried this with 3 different install disks as well as a network install and same thing. Tried lower graphic res including VESA --same result. Finally, tried text install and same thing. I have used these disks on two other older HP machines with no problem

Since the system boots, I don’t think it is the win boot manager. If a restore the win boot manager then the CD does not boot at all.

Appreciate any help on this
Thanks

You need to give us the exact model number of the HP computer and tell us exactly the Graphic Processor Unit being used. Run Windrows and look at the device manager if you need to to see the GPU being used. Finally, have you got to the point of selecting the Desktop you want to load such as KDE or Gnome? Normally, I just pick VGA mode at first for the installer and use the **nomodeset **kernel load option for the first reboot and you would think that the text mode install would always work which is why we need to know your GPU being used. It does not sound good however based on what you have told us so far.

Thank You,

The computer is an HP pavillion p6-2120 with AMD quad processor and Gallium 0.4 AMD SUMO graphics. I was able to install Fedora 17 successfully. Unfortunately, the mbr is corrupt even though Fedora said it loaded the boot manager. This computer boot has Win boot manager and legacy boot. Disabled win boot manager. I can boot into Fedora with a CD but cannot access win7. My preference is to use SuSE.

First I suggest you read through this for booting problems: Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Next I might suggest you read through this: http://forums.opensuse.org/content/111-partitioning-hard-disk-during-install.html

Having a PC go blank during the install is most often related to video and switching to VESA and using the nomodeset command is often helpful in getting a final install working.

Thank You,