Installation issues

Okay, so bear with me for the lack of detail, its 3:46am and I’m really a beginner at this.

So here is my issue: I decided I wanted to try Linux, so i got a Disc Image of Opensuse 11.3. while burning this disc image to a DVD-R I had no issues. But after the Validation was done an error appeared stating the disc Image was not burnt due to some error (apologies for not paying too close attention here) although the entire burn completed without issue. So I closed it and figured I would try again with another Disk when i get one.

Well as it turns out I did burn the Disc Image, and decided to try the Install. I have previously installed Ubuntu a few times and figured it was just as easy… so I restarted my computer and booted from the CD. went through the Installation up to the Partition part… This kind of confused me at first but I eventually got that it wanted to shrink my existing windows partition in order to make room. so i went along with it and began the install. well about halfway through the installation error messages kept showing telling me there were missing Packs. after about 10 messages I aborted the install for fear of what would happen (apologies on being an idiot)

now i have a shrunken partition and i dont know how to fix or what to do.

I would still like to install opensuse but i dont have anymore DVD-R’s and my Flash drive is too small.

I will try to provide any info i can upon request.

Oh, I forgot to mention im Running windows 7. if that helps at all… which I doubt it does… lol

I can safely access windows, nothing happened to the information on my drive. Im just missing 50GB of space now.

Dejected-james Okay, so bear with me for the lack of detail, its 3:46am and I’m really a beginner at this.

So here is my issue: I decided I wanted to try Linux, so i got a Disc Image of Opensuse 11.3. while burning this disc image to a DVD-R I had no issues. But after the Validation was done an error appeared stating the disc Image was not burnt due to some error (apologies for not paying too close attention here) although the entire burn completed without issue. So I closed it and figured I would try again with another Disk when i get one.

Well as it turns out I did burn the Disc Image, and decided to try the Install. I have previously installed Ubuntu a few times and figured it was just as easy… so I restarted my computer and booted from the CD. went through the Installation up to the Partition part… This kind of confused me at first but I eventually got that it wanted to shrink my existing windows partition in order to make room. so i went along with it and began the install. well about halfway through the installation error messages kept showing telling me there were missing Packs. after about 10 messages I aborted the install for fear of what would happen (apologies on being an idiot)

now i have a shrunken partition and i dont know how to fix or what to do.

I would still like to install opensuse but i dont have anymore DVD-R’s and my Flash drive is too small.

I will try to provide any info i can upon request.

Oh, I forgot to mention im Running windows 7. if that helps at all… which I doubt it does… lol

I can safely access windows, nothing happened to the information on my drive. Im just missing 50GB of space now.

To continue on with the installation of openSUSE is going to require a good boot disk. You either need to buy more disks, in order to make a new one OR, perhaps it is time to make a visit to the local book store or Magazine rack. Many Linux magazines and some books, include openSUSE 11.3 boot disks. You buy one (mag or book with disk), boot from the disk, use the automatic settings in openSUSE and get back on with trying openSUSE.

Thank You,

Is there any other way? I’ll see if I can find a new DVD-R but other than that and the Magazine Idea (pretty good idea, I’ll say) what are my options?

Are you saying the media check:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/11.3%20Install/1.jpg
Didn’t pass with success? And you installed anyway?

You absolutely must have a good install disc!

If don’t have that. I suggest you wait until you can lay your hands on some new CD or DVD’s and try again. Remember to burn as slow as possible.

Another option would be to dd the net install .iso to your USB flash drive. But you need a wired Ethernet to install this way.

Yeah, I didn’t run that check until after I failed at installing then restarted my system. It was then that i found the disk was damaged. I really wish I had done that in the first place. It would have saved me from this. But 'tis life to make mistakes…

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I’ll have to get some more DVD’s.

Is there any way for me to recover the lost space on my HDD? Im running low on space with such a large chunk missing…

An Ubuntu cd should have Parted on it
It will let you manage the partitions and adjust the space as you require
Or use Parted Magic.

Hah, thats kind of funny, I just downloaded and installed Partition Magic. But I uninstalled it 10 minutes later because i was afraid of causing even more harm to my HDD and possibly my OS.

Partition Magic is a Windows (formerly DOS and originally OS/2) software program. Parted Magic is a Linux live system mainly used to partitionate hard disks. You do not install Parted Magic, you run it from live CD.

Ohh thanks for Clearing that up =) so its not something I can install.

It’s a live cd with lots of management tools
I always use it to set out my partitions before an installation.

Here is a little guide:
Using Parted Magic an Introduction

No it’s a live system used to fix things, i.e create/delete partitions. Of course if you don’t know what you are doing, you can screw up everything when partitioning. But just running Parted Magic doesn’t hurt anything. It’s a powerfull mini Linux with some usefull tools (like gparted) and network support.

On 2010-12-29 13:36, Dejected-james wrote:
> Is there any way for me to recover the lost space on my HDD? Im running
> low on space with such a large chunk missing…

If you intend to try again the suse install, leave it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)