Installation hangs after the boot screen

Hi,

I tried to install Suse 11 in my IBM Thinkpad R40E System, After the Suse 11 Boot Screen, It was hang on some time in “Starting HAL Daeman Creating X Config, and then another screen with OPEN SUSE, and that’s all,
there is no action in Setup and stopped DVD reading.

Hi & Welcome!

As far as I know your system should be well supported and be able to boot without any special boot switches.

You could try booting with acpi=off as option.
To check if it’s a specific issue wih your hardware & the kernel shipped with openSUSE 11, also check what happens when booting with the openSUSE 10.3 installer.

Wishing you luck,
Wj

Hi,

Thank you!

After i disabled ACPI = off; it goes further installing steps as follows
DNS Config Daeman
java.binfmt_misc
X Config - it stays some time here
and some character
(none):confused: X
then it complete installation screen
Again it hangs here and no progress in setup.

Thank you

Hi,

I tried Suse 10.1 version with installation with ACPI off, there no error and continue install linux in my PC. But I stopped in middle of installation, because I have one partition only with window XP.

While Suse 11 installation

ACPI = off; it goes further installing steps as follows

Starting DNS Config Daeman done
starting java.binfmt_misc done
starting X Config - it stays some time here
and some character
(none):confused: #

Checking/updating microcode done
Initialize Random Number Generator done
Starting power saved
done
Starting Consolekit Skipped
Starting HAL Daeman X Config

then it complete installation screen
Again it hangs here and no progress in setup.

Thank you

I’m not sure what you can do about this if openSUSE 11.0 will not boot - there are still different boot options you can try, look at the options possible at the first installer boot screen.

Another way to go is to test the up and coming 11.1 version or go for the 10.3 (Download openSUSE 10.3) version as it’s looking like the Linux kernel version that comes with openSUSE 11.0 has an issue with your hardware.

When running into these type of issues (acpi) always check if there is a newer BIOS version for your system. Check this on the IBM/Lenovo support page : Lenovo Support & downloads - BIOS Update (Non-Diskette) - ThinkPad R40e

Others here might have better suggestions.

If you have only one big partition for XP. You will need to shrink it to be able to install openSUSE. This is something you can do during the setup with the partitioning options. ! Make a backup of your important files before messing with your partitions though!!

I’m not sure in what point your installation is stopping for what you say but, is that ‘screen with opensuse’ the one in which you can press ESC and see the details? If so, press ESC and see where it is stopping.