Installation Errors

I am hoping I can explain this problem properly. I had been searching the forum for a while to find a similar scenario in the forum search but I have not seen one.

We have one pc that is misbehaving from the start of installation from cd/dvd, software installation and update installation.

This, started about some months ago in openSUSE 11.1. When installing from the cd or dvd it keeps on throwing errors pertaining to bad checksum and the only way to successfully install the os is to start from minimal install. I have to note that the cd or dvd used was successfully used in the installation in two other pc.

After the installation, when doing an additional application installation or updating, the error is persistent/consistent specially when the single package is a bit bigger. ex: it is about 10-20 mb application size. When trying to retry to install by clicking the pop-up error it is a hit or miss meaning it sometimes goes through or just failed with the same error.

I am attaching a screenshot of the consistent error that we are getting in the hope someone can help me. Any thoughts are welcome.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/Burias/Screenshot.png

The image attached is almost the same occurrence even during the start of os installation.

Could be a bad or mis aligned cd drive.

But it is happening even from installing updates and apps from the repositories.

Any thoughts or advice before I try openSUSE 11.2 or opening the pc case. I’m just afraid to start loading 11.2 coz the last time we installed 11.1 it took us 3 hours for the minimal install due to errors reading the iso image.

We already remove the failing original 500 mb ram and replaced with two new 500 mb when we installed openSUSE 11.1.

I’m going to assume you have verified the cd image using md5 AND sha1, or the gpg signature.

Now then, we have:

We have one pc that is misbehaving from the start of installation from cd/dvd, software installation and update installation.

and

But it is happening even from installing updates and apps from the repositories.

Are you running the same software installation and the same updates on all 3 machines? (If you aren’t, you don’t have a real comparison baseline.)

If you have been running the identical update/upgrade on two machines, and only one is throwing an error, then it is logical that something is going on with that one. I’ll call them no-error and error machine.

Now, assuming that you did identical installs, as I said, we can rule out (not entirely, but for now) the CD drive and the nic (network interface) (and other network parts, like the drop cable or the drop cable routing). That leaves hard drive (hdd), motherboard (mb), and RAM.

You also said:

When trying to retry to install by clicking the pop-up error it is a hit or miss meaning it sometimes goes through or just failed with the same error.

Which, I think, points the same way. Run badblocks, or smartd or smartctl, depending on what you’ve got installed. Fsck too. That will check the hdd. Get a live cd and run the memtest option for ram.

If this were just the network, I’ve seen issues like this (wierdness) come up because of bad network cable routing.

If you aren’t running the same updates on more than one machine, it could be anything. Try running the same stuff on two machines - guarantee apples vs apples.

Now, assuming that you did identical installs, as I said, we can rule out (not entirely, but for now) the CD drive and the nic (network interface) (and other network parts, like the drop cable or the drop cable routing). That leaves hard drive (hdd), motherboard (mb), and RAM.

You also said:

Which, I think, points the same way. Run badblocks, or smartd or smartctl, depending on what you’ve got installed. Fsck too. That will check the hdd. Get a live cd and run the memtest option for ram.

If this were just the network, I’ve seen issues like this (wierdness) come up because of bad network cable routing.

If you aren’t running the same updates on more than one machine, it could be anything. Try running the same stuff on two machines - guarantee apples vs apples.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I will take the hdd and the motherboard. The ram as I mentioned had been replaced. The nic had been replace also with new and we tried connecting the cable using a 3 feet cable close to the router.This machine has two hard drives and both were experiencing the same status. With the motherboard it’s beyond my capacity, we are just ordinary users here with no extra technical knowledge. This pc in question is a 7-year old machine.

The updates were done individually using yast using the same repositories.

I will do as you said to run what you recommended for testing.I will do some searching how those works and when the pc is not being utilized I will give it a go.

This will sound silly, but if you’ve been in and out of the box replacing things, do so one more time, and simply reseat all your contacts. The new nic? Pull it and reseat it carefully, being very firm. Same with the ram. Do the same with all the connectors to the hdd and the cd-drives.

It is not that rare that this will fix strange hardware issues. Sometimes it is just a bad contact. If you have never done this sort of thing before, and you can find a friend who has, buy him a cup of coffee and get him to watch you do this. Hardware changes a lot in small ways, and sometimes some contacts require a little “technique”.

Oh, and another thing - I wouldn’t worry about the length of the drop cable (the cable from the box to the wall). You shouldn’t have more than 300 feet TOTAL cable back to your router, server, or powered hub/switch. What IS important is making sure it isn’t kinked, or running close to any flourescent light fixtures, or directly next to power lines, stuff like that. The drop cable can be 50 feet long if you want - so long as the total doesn’t go over that 300 foot mark.

Sheesh, sorry for the p.p.p.s., but I’m not reading clearly. You just said:

The updates were done individually using yast using the same repositories.

which means that the updates COULD be going flaky because of the NIC, and it is just coincidental that you got the same or a similar error from the CD-drive.

Check the cabling also especially if it runs in the walls. I had a mouse chew a cable once caused all sorts of strange errors :’(

gogalthorp wrote:
> Check the cabling also especially if it runs in the walls. I had a mouse
> chew a cable once caused all sorts of strange errors :’(

Logitech, Microsoft, or generic OEM mouse? :wink:

palladium