Install Woes - Black Screen Wont Install

Hi;
Last week I upgraded my MoB, chip and cooler to a new AMD UEFI board , FX chip and water cooling.
All went fine and my system was stright up and running; i didn’t have to do a re-install or anything.

Messing around today I did something silly in command line whilst in SU mode and deleted all my files (rm -r /*); I thought if I was cd’d into a directory it would only clear that directory; I guess you live and learn. I have full back ups so all good.

I have tried to reinstall openSUSE 13.2 (64bit) but can not get it to work; either as UEFI mode or legacy BIOS. It’s not the install media because I have tried it in an old lappy and it ran fine.

Setup starts as normal; I select Install from the menu; it runs through some text; says it’s launching yast; then initializing a virtual console; and the screen just goes black - Nothing.

I ran DBAN on the SSD just to ensure it was clean and still no dice.
Just to make sure it’s not hardware related and for fun and giggles I have just installed my old XP disc and the install went perfectly!!

I’m guessing it’s a driver issue? My graphics card is an old Radeon HD4600.
Any one any ideas?

Well first off decide if you are going to use EFI or legacy. Do not mix them. Also I assume this is a single OS machine ie you are not dual booting.

Do you get to the first menu? If EFI mode then press e find line that starts linux= go to complete end of line (it wraps) add a space and nomode set. press F10 to continue.

If legacy press F3( I think. The prompt should be at the bottom of the screen) select nokms

Both these things select the use of lower capable but less likely to fail drivers. You may need to select advanced and recovery mode when you re boot then add the AMD dirver

You may also want to check the iso checksums and maybe run media check.

Now that you know how easy it is to shoot your foot as root, please stop doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

Doing a little investigation on PicoScope. and it appears that most devices also claim to have Linux software. So must you run in Windows at all??

On 2015-07-31 19:36, gogalthorp wrote:
>
> Doing a little investigation on PicoScope. and it appears that most
> devices also claim to have Linux software. So must you run in Windows at
> all??

Sorry, what is PicoScope? I don’t see it referred in his post :-?

Wikipedia says it is a series of PC-based oscilloscopes.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

On 2015-07-31 19:36, gogalthorp wrote:
>
> Doing a little investigation on PicoScope. and it appears that most
> devices also claim to have Linux software. So must you run in Windows at
> all??

Ah. I think you got confused with this other thread
http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=508897 :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Yep sorry got them mixed