Install without booting?

Can the current Open Suse (11.4 or 12.1) be installed from a Live CD or DVD without being able to boot from it?

I have an Acer Aspire 1640 notebook, with dual boot access via Grub to Win XP and Open Suse 10.2 .

The BIOS only allows booting from the DVD/CD or the hard disk. Unfortunately the DVD drive no longer works.
I can use an external DVD drive via USB, but I cannot boot from it.

Is there still some way to perform an install of Open Suse?

You need the DVD.iso
Use it as a source in the current install, having disabled all your other repos.
Then use zypper dup
(Backup important data!)
SDB:Zypper usage 11.3 - openSUSE

On 2011-11-22 15:46, Podge15 wrote:
> Is there still some way to perform an install of Open Suse?

I rad about that in the old wiki, the article might still be there.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I haven’t tried this exact method but it should work. This will let you do a clean install.

1. Download the dvd iso and save it to a partition that you won’t format, such as your windows partition or external disk.

2. Mount the iso and extract it on that same partition.

3. Edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst (manually or through Yast) to boot the dvd kernel that you extracted. It should look something like this if you extracted it on /dev/sda3 at /suse-dvd.

title 11.4 DVD Install
    kernel (hd0,2)/suse-dvd/boot/i386/loader/linux root=/dev/ram nomodeset splash=silent quiet showopts install=hd://dev/sda3:/suse-dvd vga=0x317
    initrd (hd0,2)/suse-dvd/boot/i386/loader/initrd

The (hd0,2) is the same as /dev/sda3.

Now reboot and select the new entry.

Thank you for your suggestions. I had hoped to hear from someone with firsthand experience. In the meantime I have found ‘instlux’
mentioned in SDB:DVD installation for 11.4 - openSUSE (see also SourceForge.net Repository - [instlux] Index of /) which, given that I have
Win XP on my Acer, appears to provide a solution. On the other hand, since it alters the boot process, it holds for me the risk
that if something goes wrong, I will then have no way of booting.

Unfortunately the DVD drive no longer works
Really these are very inexpensive to replace. I suggest you look at this option.

When I opened this thread I stated that the Acer 1640 notebook would not boot from an external DVD drive via USB.I assumed this based on the fact that the Phoenix Bios boot selection menu only offered the three possibilities of CD/DVD drive, hard disk, and floppy drive. By chance I have now found out that on the contrary, the Acer does boot from an external DVD drive via USB. I report this to be fair to Acer and to inform others with a similar problem.