Install on Toshiba Portege M205

I’m a newbie and am having a problem.

I have a Toshiba Portege M205-S810 tablet. This computer has a usb cd-rw/dvd-rom drive only. I have a 160 gb HD with 2 partitions. The first contains Windows 7 (I can’t remove this, it has all my school stuff), and the second partition is empty.

I downloaded the KDE LiveCD version of 11.2, and the MD5 was correct. I burned the image to a cd via imgburn, and the write was verified.

I want to install OpenSUSE 11.2 onto the 2nd partition. I restart my computer, get into the BIOS, and enable boot from cd-rom. I restart again, the drive spins a bit, and then the windows 7 start screen appears. I’m not sure why this is happening, and would appreciate getting this installed on my 2nd partition.

Thanks!

Have you used this DVD drive for booting prior to now? I have found on another site that the Toshiba Portege M205-S810 tablet is only compatible with certain USB drives.

You can check here to see if it is compatible:
Toshiba Europe GmbH - Technical Support Bulletin

I have used the DVD drive before. The M205 comes with a Toshiba slimline USB drive that you can boot from. Even after I updated the BIOS to v1.80, it has worked. I have used the XP restore disc that came with the computer and Win7 Ultimate.

It doesn’t have DVD burning capabilities, hence why I used the KDE LiveCD.

Is there a way to set up opensuse in Virtualbox, copy a disk image from that, and then place the image into another partition? Just a thought.

It might be possible, but it would probably be easier to get your CD drive to be bootable.

When you enter the BIOS, does it show that the CD drive is connected or do you have another bootable disk that you can use to verify that the system is seeing the CD drive at boot time?

It shows that the drive is present, and I’ve already used the XP image disc (without going through the restore process) to verify that the drive is being seen.

Then there has to be a problem with the KDE LiveCD. I know you said that you did a MD5 checksum. If you already have virtual box installed, you can verify this by trying to use the CD to create a virtual machine.

You are right, the cd didn’t work. I was able to use the DVD iso (different file) to install a Virtualbox copy, which is installing now. I will see what I can do with it. Thanks.

I was reading on ImgBurn website that some drives are picky which media is used in them. You may want to check that out too.

FAQ - ImgBurn Support Forum

Hope this helps.

One other thing you may want to look at is the burn speed. Most burners default to the highest possible speed, if you lowwer it by 50%, it will greatly increase the reliability.

Well I gave up on trying to install it from a cd. I found a way to install it from the hard drive, but now I can’t figure out how to finish the setup without deleting the windows partition. Any ideas?

Are you installing from Windows??

DON’T DO IT.

Use the net install

No, that won’t work for me either. I am using EasyBCD to enable use of a small (5gb) partition from startup. I am running the installation off of that small partition, and want to install OpenSUSE onto a 3rd partition that is 30gb. Is there a document explaining how to set up partitions in expert mode?