install near windows 10, impossible to create partition

Hi all,

I’m trying to install opensuse 42.1 and ubuntu 16.04 lts on my laptop by usb. Unfotunately I have to keep Windows 10 on it.
I’d like to install opensuse on the 78.12GB unpartitioned space; it seems impossible on both opensuse and ubuntu installation process; by “Manual Editing” I can’t create partitions on the above mentioned 78.12GB space.
The opensuse default partition scheme uses my usb for all opensuse partitions, instead of using the unpartitioned space near windows 10 (at the end of the harddisk).
I get the same problem with ubuntu.
What should I do?

Thank you very much for your help
Maurizio

https://i.imgsafe.org/3c6110cae6.png

I can explain your problem (I think). But I can’t tell you how to solve it.

Your basic problem is that your disk appears to use legacy MBR partitioning. With that partitioning method, there is a limit of 4 primary partitions, and you are using them all.

The traditional way of solving this is to have an extended partition, which you can then divide into multiple logical drives. However, the extended partition counts as one of the primary partitions, and you are currently using all four.

One of the reasons that I did not “upgrade” windows to Windows 10, is that some reports indicate that it uses one more primary partition than earlier versions of Windows. And I don’t have an additional primary partition to spare.

If I had your computer, then I would be looking into whether Windows really needs those two smallest partitions (the second at 450M and the fourth at 100MB. If it can do without one of those, then you could delete that partition and use the slot for an extended partition containing that 78.12G of unused space. But I don’t know if that’s a possible option for your setup.

100MB is system partition, so yes, it definitely needs it - this is where bootloader is installed. It may be possible to relocate bootloader to main partition though. Other two partitions are probably OEM service and recovery. While removing them should definitely be possible, it may invalidate warranty, and at least make communication with support much more difficult. I still have three unused partitions (18GB in total) on my Dell notebook as well; mostly because I am lazy to go through backup/repartition/recovery.

First of all, thank you very much.

It seems there are TWO RECOVERY PARTITIONS. The first 7.04GB, at the beginning of the hdd; and the second 450MB, at the end of the hdd.
Half a year ago I upgraded from Windows 7 (the os preinstalled on my sony vaio bought 6 years ago) to Windows 10. Unfortunately I don’t remember the size and the number/quantity of the recovery/ies partition/s during the history of my laptop.
As I read there http://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/recovery-partition-after-upgrading-to-windows-10-4348.html “The recovery partition on Windows 10 consumes about 450MB”.
7.04GB is a strange size. But it seems a common recovery partition size for Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Maybe I should delete 7.04GB partition; I will not be able to use that part of the disk, won’t I?
I can’t delete 7.04GB partition on Windows “Disk Management”. Maybe I’ll try to delete it on opensuse partition process.

Bye and thanks

You can move the partitions up. Of course you should always backup any time you play with partitions just in case.

Not 100% sure, but I think the 450MB “recovery” just contains some tools (emergency bootloader, backup/restore SW…), what you normally find in a “repair disk”, while the 7.04 GB partition is most likely a system image backup to be restored in case of trouble.
Wether the latter is a W7 or a W10 image I cannot say, but since you upgraded “half a year ago” I think the W7 recovery has been wiped some time after the upgrade and you are left with a 7.04 GB W10 image.
IF (please note the emphasis!) the above is correct, it should be possible to write the 450 MB to a physical CD/DVD to be used in case of trouble and backup the 7.04 GB on a backup unit.
Maybe creating an 8GB USB “recovery” from W10 will transfer both on a pendrive and you might be able to wipe both from your disk. But I have almost no W10 knowledge and cannot help you beyond this point.

On Fri 05 Aug 2016 02:46:01 PM CDT, OrsoBruno wrote:

Not 100% sure, but I think the 450MB “recovery” just contains some tools
(emergency bootloader, backup/restore SW…), what you normally find in
a “repair disk”, while the 7.04 GB partition is most likely a system
image backup to be restored in case of trouble.
Wether the latter is a W7 or a W10 image I cannot say, but since you
upgraded “half a year ago” I think the W7 recovery has been wiped some
time after the upgrade and you are left with a 7.04 GB W10 image.
IF (please note the emphasis!) the above is correct, it should be
possible to write the 450 MB to a phisical CD/DVD to be used in case of
trouble and backup the 7.04 GB on a backup unit.
Maybe creating an 8GB USB “recovery” from W10 will transfer both on a
pendrive and you might be able to wipe both from your disk. But I have
almost no W10 knowledge and cannot help you beyond this point.

Hi
You only need the product key for win10, easier to just re-install.
Create a win10 USB device and copy/run something like produkey (I have
it sitting in the root of the win 10 usb device). Normally the 450MB
partition is created from the win7 to win10 update.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.27-27-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Unfortunately my windows 7 OEM product key was deactivated when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It seem that Win10 product key is NOT the same of Win7 product key. Furthermore MS doesn’t give any windows 10 product key for upgrade. I remember it was clearly written on the upgrade process.
Unfortunately I think OrsoBruno says the right.
I don’t know why Windows doesn’t use only one partition for recovery, instead of two. I think for imperialistic purpose. You will only have one OS: windows >:) (it looks like a freebsd icon :slight_smile: but divine freebsd does NOT have anything to do with poorly designed windows).
Maybe it’s possible to merge 7.04GB and 450mb partition to let them work together. Maybe? I hope.
I’m a little angry.
I can’t even upgrade from bios to uefi because the company sony vaio died. I think uefi is not available for my sony vaio VPCY11V9E.

Bye and thanks

Hi
No you can recover your windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 key (Incl BIOS key) even from a disk attached to the system via USB, just need a windows rescue USB device to put the produkey (<- google this) application on…

Rumors are that unique hash key that identifies your system is computed and stored on MS server when you launch update (some say it happens even earlier, when you agree to update). When you reinstall Windows 10 it verifies this key, so no activation (hence no product key) is required.