Install failed on two machines with same results.

HI all,

Does SUSE make a partician product like Fdisk that I can boot into from the USB drive. I have successfully messed up two machines on installs of Ubuntu and SUSE :expressionless: bad luck this week. Now bootable ISO from the USB just throws some errors and sits there. Same errors on both machines so I have a feeling its something I have done.

Anyone know of a way to wipe these disks clean so I can try a fresh install?

Thanks guys,

Zach

On 2012-04-26 23:06, bzachd wrote:

> Anyone know of a way to wipe these disks clean so I can try a fresh
> install?

What disks, the hard disks of the computers you tried to install to? Just
tell the partitioner that you one a proposal from scratch.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Carlos,

Thanks for replying. Yes I need to try to wipe the two hard drives on the two machines clean and try a fresh install. I have tried using the “Install” option from the Bootable ISO file I have on a USB drive.
but I choose “Install” the machine sits at the OpenSuse screen for about 10 min, then errors out with:

Couldnt Find Live Image Configuration file
rebootException: error consoles at Alt-F3/F4
RebootExeption: reboot in 120 sec…

I would use the particioner that comes with the install if I could actually get that far. This is where it sits, I have no other options. I also tried running it only from the USB, not installing, I get the same error.
This happens on two different machines.

Thats why I was wondering if there is a stand alone partion tool that I can use, like Fdsk that I can boot into from the USB drive. The install option will not get that far.

Thanks

Zach

Maybe I have a corrupted ISO? or something along those lines?

On 2012-04-27 00:46, bzachd wrote:
>
> Carlos,
>
> Thanks for replying. Yes I need to try to wipe the two hard drives on
> the two machines clean and try a fresh install. I have tried using the
> “Install” option from the Bootable ISO file I have on a USB drive.
> but I choose “Install” the machine sits at the OpenSuse screen for
> about 10 min, then errors out with:

That’s not related to the usb not booting. Solve first that, then the other
will be solved.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-04-27 00:56, bzachd wrote:
>
> Maybe I have a corrupted ISO? or something along those lines?

Did you verify the download?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Thanks Carlos,

That was my original question :wink:

Does SUSE make a partician product like Fdisk that I can boot into from the USB drive.

Thanks

Zach

The cd has fdisk on it. but in any case to install you must have a bootable source . The CD ISO can be put on a USB, Have you followed the instruction on the site? There is no need to use a
separate partition product. But if you insist there is are sever distros devoted to the process. Parted magic is a good one downloads – Parted Magic

Thanks for the info. I will go back over the instructions for making it a boot able USB. I am using a third party product that decompresses the ISO and makes it boot able, but there might be something not right with that.
I really think it has something to do with the way its trying to boot from the USB. Just doesn’t make much sense that both machines would return the exact same errors, one is a Laptop ACER and the other is an old Dell… thats just too slow.

My last machine I have is running CentOS that’s what I am currently using… but there is something going on with I think some bad RAM, the second I hit email it locks up with some strange Vertical blue lines.

Does it on both CentOS and Ubuntu. Maybe I need to stop being cheap and buy a good machine??? lol

thanks for your help I will let you know how it works out !!

Zach

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:06:02 +0000, bzachd wrote:

> Now bootable ISO from the USB just throws some errors and sits there.

It would help if you told us what the specific errors were that you
receive.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Thanks Jim I had put them in an earlier post:

Couldnt Find Live Image Configuration file
rebootException: error consoles at Alt-F3/F4
RebootExeption: reboot in 120 sec…

I went threw the instructions to make sure I made the USB bootable:

+++++++++++++
Get isohybrid

Download and extract isohybrid from the syslinux package.

Download syslinux.
Extract the zip. Right click on it in Windows Explorer and click "Extract All"
Find the isohybrid.pl script in the utils directory, and place it in the same directory as your image. 

Install strawberry perl.
Windows isohybrid.png
Create Hybrid ISO
+++++++++++++++

I have completed all the instructions for the Windows version of making the USB bootable. I am at the part where I run the script:

C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe isohybrid.pl openSUSE-12.1-DVD-x86_64.iso ( with my version inserted )

When I run the following with the file structure set up like above, I receive the error that there is no isohybrid.pl.

To be sure I went out and grabbed everything called “isohybird” from the extracted files in the utils directory and put them in the same location as my iso file.

I cannot find any files with the extension .pl so I tried running the script without the file designator, but I get the same error.

I guess I can try putting everything in the \bin directory where the perl.exe is located… anyone ever do this set up ?

Thanks for the help,

Zach

I see isohybird.pl in the utility directory in the zip

syslinux-4.04.zip

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 01:56:02 +0000, bzachd wrote:

> Thanks Jim I had put them in an earlier post:
>
> Couldnt Find Live Image Configuration file rebootException: error
> consoles at Alt-F3/F4 RebootExeption: reboot in 120 sec…

Somehow I missed that post. :confused:

Does it show anything on the indicated consoles?

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2012-04-27 19:06, bzachd wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I will go back over the instructions for making it
> a boot able USB. I am using a third party product that decompresses the
> ISO and makes it boot able, but there might be something not right with
> that.

That breaks it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-04-28 03:56, bzachd wrote:
>
> I went threw the instructions to make sure I made the USB bootable:

I don’t understand. Doesn’t simply copy the live CD image to the USB raw work?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Hey bzachd,

I tell you somethings I do every time I do an install, and I never have any problems with any of them. (install process that is). I have setup a number of people with openSUSE (converted them from Windows), on a variety of hardware.

1. Always run Memtest86 for 12 - 24 hours.

2. Find out the hard drive manufacturer and use their own testing software (ie Seagate’s “Sea Tools”) and run comprehensive tests and then use it to do a low level format over the whole drive.

3. Replace the DVD drive with a new one, they’re cheap enough to replace and so many pre-used drives are flaky and can cause the weirdest problems.

Doing those 3 things on there own I reckon would solve a lot of peoples install problems.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Thanks for all the help in going over my post and the great advice from great support, I think people forget this is done by volunteers.

I got the install working. From what I can tell I was making a Hybrid USB, which is not what I should have been making. I followed the Windows install to make the ISO boot able and it worked fine.

I have it installed now and it seems to be ok. There are a few weird things with the browser like there is no way to maximize, minimize or close the active window, on any that I open. This is the only thing I can see so far that has me stumped… but as for the install, it went well after I read the instructions.

I will post my question on the missing Max, Min and close features of the active windows in the correct forum.

But thanks again for helping me!!!

Zach