Install 13.2 - can't set root partition

Hello,

I’m trying to install OpenSuse 13.2. When I get to the partition setup it gives me a suggestion for setting up the partitions and warns me that the root partition is not set and that installation will surely fail. When I try to go in and change the partition table it tells me that the partition I’m trying to set as root is in use and can’t be changed.

The laptop had LinuxMint on it with a encryted partition. I want to completely wipe out the hard drive and just have OpenSuse. It would be nice if there was a “wipe the hard drive and install the OS option.” Many years ago I used Suse and it was pretty easy (those memories are why I’m back to using Suse). As I recall it would just give you sugestions on partition setup, allow you to pick one, and then just move on. Is there an easy button for this? How can I work around the “partition is in use” issue and set the root partition?

Thanks,

Chad Preisler

Ok, I’ll reply to my own thread. To get around the root partition not being set I needed to hit cancel when YaSt asked me for the password to the encrypted file systems. The installation then was able to configure the partitions, and I got through the install.

Unfortunately, when the machine boots up I get a grub boot loader prompt. When I did the partitions I asked it to encrypt the hard drive. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with the grub prompt on boot. I’m beginning to think maybe Suse is just too advanced for me. I expected a nice graphical user login when the system boots not a grub prompt. I have no idea how to boot the system. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Normally, you can just hit Enter at that point, and it will boot into opensuse. And you can set the boot menu timeout to 0 if you want to skip that step.

However, maybe something went wrong and you are getting a bare “Grub” prompt with a default menu item. In that case, we may need more information to be able to help.

I’ll wait till you respond to this before suggesting what else we need.

When you do things right there is a nice graphical prompt. Now to figure out where you went wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wiping a partition should not be a problem just erase it. It should not mater if it is encrypted or not. Because the partition in question is encrypted it is probably confusing the installer so you have to take charge. I suggest that you go to advanced/expert mode and tell the installer to format the partition ext4 Note it defaults to BTRFS for 13.2 but unless you have a true need for a cutting edger file system use the tried and true ext4. If you don’t know about BTRFS then use ext4

Note that openSUSE normally like to have 3 partitions by default. I highly recommend you use a separate home partitions it truly can save your beacon. Normally you want swap 1 to 2X memory (note if you have a great pot full of memory mention it also if you plan to hibernate) root mounted as / (about 20-30 gig ext4 2X that for BTRFS if you plan large databases mention it) and home mounted as /home ( the rest of the drive or as big as you need for personal files)

The machine may have an encrypted LVM partition ( if you don’t know read up on it) If so then best to use a separate disk utility like gparted to wipe it. If you also plan on encryption then you probably want to put a LVM partition back and set it to be encrypted. Note that encryption is a total pain in the… but the question is do you really need it. Notebooks can be lost so it does make sense to have encryption. But if some one has physical access it is a given if they really want the data they can get it. Encrypted file system do nothing for a running system system by default the file system is unencrypted and any one that gains network access to a running system still can get the data. So unless you are working with secret corporate or national secrets I question the pressing need it is better to simply encrypt an files or directories you need to keep confidential. If something goes wrong with an encrypted file system you are dead in the water.

Hitting enter just takes me to another grub prompt. Let me know what to send.

Thanks,
Chad

Then we need the output from:

# fdisk -l

and the content of “/etc/fstab”.

You’ve used linux before, so you probably know how to get those. In any case, here’s a summary.

Boot to live media or boot the installer to rescue mode. Mount a USB drive somewhere, so that you can put the output there.

From your live boot, run:

# fdisk -l > filename

where the file name is on the mounted USB. Then mount your root file system to somewhere (typically “/mnt”), and
copy “/mnt/etc/fstab” to the mounted USB. (Replace the “/mnt” with wherever you mounted the root file system).

Then unmount the USB before you unplug it.

Use code tags to post the output. You can generate code tags with the ‘#’ button in the forum editor, then paste your date between the tags.

We may have more questions after seeing that.

Do you have unencrypted /boot partition or is everything encrypted, including /boot?

On 2014-12-15 19:16, cpreisler wrote:

> The laptop had LinuxMint on it with a encryted partition. I want to
> completely wipe out the hard drive and just have OpenSuse. It would be
> nice if there was a “wipe the hard drive and install the OS option.”

And there is. It is called “use the whole disk” proposal. It is in the
partitioning screen, perhaps under expert partitioning - sorry, I would
have to start an install to make sure.

> How can I work around the
> “partition is in use” issue and set the root partition?

This is strange, it should never happen. I’d think you are pointing the
installer to the disk/media where the install program is.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

On 2014-12-16 02:06, gogalthorp wrote:

> If you also plan on encryption then you probably want to put a
> LVM partition back and set it to be encrypted.

In this case, you probably need a separate, non-encrypted /boot
partition, although grub2 in 13.2 has some support for encryption. This
feature is new.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Oh yea I forgot that you do need a separate boot if you are encrypting a LVM