Inisprion 5100 Touchpad problems

To make a long story short, this will be be my fourth re-install/format for open suse 11 so aside from all the partition problems i had to reslove this install was working perfect until i left my computer alone for a couple hours, when i came back and woke it up from standby, the mouse stopped working after i logged in. i think this is a problem isolated to GNOME because my KDE shell has no problems at all. I prefer Gnome so my question is any advice on how to get my touchpad working again? heres the specs

Dell Inisprion 5100
80 GB Seagate 32GB NTFS for XP-MCE
768MB pc2700
Synaptics touchpad

aside from the mouse not working in Gnome there are no other problems and everything works great.

Hi
Did you configure it via sax2?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
up 2 days 18:14, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.44, 0.32
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

hi
in gnome, uncheck ‘touchpad’ in control panel>sessions and reboot.

Just to clarify, do you prefer using a mouse or the touchpad?

I dont care, but i use the touchpad enough in the car that i would like it to work, kinda challenging to use a mouse in the passenger seat. i tried messing with the YaSt settings under the mouse properties in failsafe mode i couldn’t find that it was being used as a touchpad however once i managed to get a usb mouse to work during a normal boot i discovered two things one that my system dosen’t show the touchpad as a touchpad in failsafe and second the touchpad will work fine until the gnome login comes up…WTH? my guess was suse needed to be updated, however it seems i have already downloaded all the updates. any ideias or suggestions?

to add to the previous reply, usb mouse does not work, mouse and touchpad only works in failsafe mode?