Increasing the number of kernel boot images

Hi,

Today I experienced a system hang after updating to latest openSUSE kernel and I am looking for a way to secure myself against similar issues in future by increasing the number of previous kernel versions.

I have found this and this info and checked how it is on my system:

# grep multiversion.kernels /etc/zypp/zypp.conf
multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running

Do I understand correctly that to increase the number of versions from 2 (currently) to 4 all I have to do is to set:

multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,latest-2,latest-3,running

No need to do anything in regards to bootloader or anything else?

I also had a hang on a KVM virtual machine – reported as Bug 1104121.

grep multiversion.kernels /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running

What I did, was immediately add “oldest” (before “latest”). That way, I will keep a known good kernel. At some time in the future, I’ll remove that “oldest” and that kernel will be uninstalled at the next kernel update. But I’ll wait until I know I have a good kernel before I do that.

No need to do anything in regards to bootloader or anything else?

No, you should not have to touch bootloader. But you will have to select a good kernel from the boot menu. Or you could uninstall the bad kernel, and then it will default to booting the good one.

Thanks nrickert!

Won’t oldest result in a duplicate? (in case e.g. oldest is the same as latest-2)

It just means that there are two reasons for not removing that kernel. But once another new kernel is added, then those will refer to different kernels.

Excellent.
Thank you!