impossible to use HDD space

Hello,

I just bought a new msi wind notebook with opensuse as os. After a while I couldn’t login as root, didn’t understand why, so I asked to restore the factory settings while booting and restart all the configuration but after this I cannot use the space of the HDD. This space seems to be all hidden in /dev/sda4 which the mount point is /media/data and FS type is ext3 (see this with “partitions”). When I go to media/data there is a folder lost+found with all the free space (52,4 GB) that I cannot access because I don’t have the permissions necessary to view the contents! And of course I’m not used at all in Linux and not so good in computers in general… So if you can help me… Thanks!

If you need root password and you really forget , search the internet and you can find a lot ways to delete the root password
and make a new one.
In any case you need the root password.
If you use as search item in search engine lost-root-password you will find a lot way how you can make a new one
dobby9

Firstly do NOT run Linux as root read here And for fixing the root pas here

Geoff

Perhaps i didn’t well explained but my problem now is not to recover a root password because it has been done by recovering the factory settings but my problem is to recover my hard disk drive space, because no more space is allocated to users, all is hidden in this strange “lost+found” file, or in this partition i wrote in my first message…

Are you sure that Lost+found takes so many space ?
Because mine says O MB used O files if not hidden
Did you have a live Cd than try to approach the Lost + found using
the Live CD .
Lost+found is one of the folders that are locked.
dobby9

Someone needs to tell all of these new people that a lot of their problems are
CAUSED by logging into the GUI as root.

Don’t do that! Ever.

In fact it seems to me that it’s not exactly Lost+found which takes so many place but all the free space is in /media/data where lost+found is. For example, when I’m in media in the File Browser, it tells me 926,4 MB of free space with the folder data in, and when I go in this folder it tells me 52,4 GB of free space but I cannot use it because it’s not in my usr folder I think… And in this folder is the folder Lost+found and when I go in it tells me that I don’t have the permissions necessary to view the contents but I can still see the 52,4 GB of free space.

Sure my problem comes from the root login but it was asked to me the root password when I went to the control center, I don’t remember what I wanted to do but sure next time I wouldn’t… But I’m quite sure the problem comes from the recovery of the factory settings which protects the data by putting them in a protected folder or something like that. And there should be a trick to refind them…

> Sure my problem comes from the root login but it was asked to me the
> root password when I went to the control center,

No, you misunderstood me and I misunderstood you.

Opening the control center and providing the root password is NOT what I thought
you had done. I thought you had signed into KDE (or GNOME) as root. THAT is
apparently not what you did. (If I understand you correctly you signed into
KDE/GNOME as yourself and THEN opened the control center as root–THAT is very
okay–you STILL have to be careful doing that. But doing it the other way you
cannot be careful enough–just doing it can easily cause problems like being
locked out of areas when either a regular user OR as root.)

sounds like the problem comes from permissions. Probably that partition is simply not writable by users. Is it writable by root?
It might be that the root login was not what caused the problem, obviously its not recommended but simply logging in as a root will not harm, it is what you do as a root that matters. So it would help if you can remember what you did.

If it was me, i would first try to check the permissions of that partition, check if root can create a folder or a file (=has write permissions)
Then you can simply change the permission of the partition, making it writable by users.

I happened to format external drives with Ext3 and they came up writable only by root, so i changed the file permission (from GUI it is just a write click and go to tab permission) and everything was sorted out perfectly.

How can I check the writing permissions on this partition?

While trying to look at this, I saw a programm in YAST called system restoration, cannot this help to restore all as the beginning?

For the root usage, it’s exactly what I did, logged in as user and after give the root password to go in Control Center. But even if it’s not the bad way, I will try to take more care now…

you can go to My Computer, then right click on a partition appearing there and go to tab permissions

Obviously you cannot change the permissions as a user, you need to be root.
If you type *kdesu konqueror *you will be prompted for your root pwd, then a konqueror window will open WITH ROOT PRIVILEGES (so be very careful)
My computer is basically the url
sysinfo:/
From there you can see the privileges of the partitions you have, and also change them, because now you are root.

This is exactly what i did with 2 of my external hard drives, and nothing got messed up, now file permissions are perfect and i have never had any problems. Users can read and write on those external drive partitions.

There is obviously also a command line version and other ways to get to the same result. The procedure above is what i personally did so i report here only what i have tested myself and seen working with my own eyes. Someone maybe can suggests other ways to achieve the same result.

OK let give it a try system>file manager> choice super user mode>
enter root password this start the file manager
On the left side are some folders one has a red color click on it.
That is root folder not root the super user but root the system
Find out which folder or file really use that much space.
If I may give you a advice do not change any thing
If you find it out with used that amount of space tell us and we will try to give you a solution.
dobby9

First of all, I don’t find system>file manager???

But I saw on a previous threat a similar problem and I did something which perhaps can help :
bendup@n011:~> df -h --print-type
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 ext3 7.9G 6.6G 916M 89% /
udev tmpfs 501M 156K 501M 1% /dev
/dev/sda4 ext3 56G 129M 53G 1% /media/data
/dev/sdc1 vfat 1.9G 670M 1.3G 35% /media/USB_DISK

and

bendup@n011:~> cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

8 0 78150744 sda
8 1 8393931 sda1
8 2 1052257 sda2
8 3 9775552 sda3
8 4 58926420 sda4
8 32 1984512 sdc
8 33 1980480 sdc1

and I also check to the properties of data folder (the mount point of /dev/sd4) and here are the results (I put the properties which seem interesting) :
Volume : 56,2 GB
Free space : 52,4 GB
File owner : root
File group : root
text view : drwxr-xr-x
number view : 755
last changed : unknown

So it seems it’s a root folder and I’m still convinced that it was done to protect the data when we ask for a recovery of the factory settings. So it seems to me (but I’m really in fog and speak only by instinctive feelings, sorry for that…) that probably the permissions have to be change to allow users to use this space and perhaps the mount point of the partition or something like that has to come back to /home to be used by the users? or something which can allow the space of this partition to be used by users…

yes it is a root partition. However, also /home partition is that way, by default. But you can still create a folder, make root change the ownership so that a user is the owner - or (depending on the levels of security that you want and need) simply change the permissions to write and allow also not owners to write. Then you can mount that folder in whichever mount point is convenient for you. If you dont impose size limitations on that folder, it can become as big as the whole partition, if you need so. And it is like having a second partition, mounted wherever you want. You can also change the permissions of the whole partition, but if security is a concern then better make only one folder, which for any purpose would be like having the whole partition writable by user.

Open the Terminal & type df -Tl.
Now find the proper situation of your hdd.
Now mount that drive manually with any other folder. eg,
create of folder named drive on Desktop. Suppose your hdd is /dev/sda1 of type ext3, then use the command
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /root/Desktop/drive.
If anyhow there were some unclean shutdown you then may use force mount. Hope this’ll work.
NOTE: you need to login as root to do these

You may try knoppix live cd also.